Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

wrasse spotted in Bali

Started by edpdiver ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

wrasse spotted in Bali

4 posts
  1. I saw this critter in Bali, depth probably about 15m (50 ft), in a black volcanic rubble area. The shape of it looks identical to a peacock wrasse I have seen previously in other locales, but the color is completely different. I wonder if it is a different kind of critter, or maybe a juvenile phase. Help, please, and thanks in advance.

     

    22338285451_abd173c8aa_z.jpg

    007_adj_DSC_0342 by Erwin Poliakoff, on Flickr

     

     

    -Erwin

    Edited by edpdiver
  2. This is a peacock razorfish, Iniistius pavo. The colors are quite variable, but that long streamer on the front of the dorsal fin is distinctive.

     

    -Mark

  3. Thanks Mark. I have seen them in other places, and they were almost a solid brown color.

  4. Loool i have seen the exact same this summer in Tulamben wreck, and our pics look quite similar.

    What a headache for my autofocus!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.