I belong to a LX100 Facebook group and someone posted this. It's shot with LX100, I think there is color grading applied. I asked the question but haven't get any response. So, how is it compare to Canon? I say darn close!
Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic
Started by kc_moses ·
Read-only discussion
I belong to a LX100 Facebook group and someone posted this. It's shot with LX100, I think there is color grading applied. I asked the question but haven't get any response. So, how is it compare to Canon? I say darn close!
Here is his reply to my question:
I always change something in post production, but those shots underwater are very similar to the original footage...I work always (with every camera I use) with all settings in manual mode, it's very important to do a good manual white balance (with the plastic whiteboard) and to set the exposure a little bit underexposed...very important is your position with the sun light on your back or on the side...you can also use a red filter (Magic Filter) in front of the lens, for more beautiful colors......that's all (practice is the most important thing)
If you look at his other video, he shot with Canon as well. So I guess his eye is trained to grade the color the way it is.
He is using a filter that is probably the most relevant consideration. Filters can increase contrast and of course saturation
How would filter increase contrast? I know the saturation would be improve since red become more red.
I think the combination of sun being at the back, super nice visibility of Red Sea area help, but I still think there is color grading going on judging on his land clips. I also think under expose would help bring out the highlight/contrast later during post.
This is by far the best scene, but the longer I see it, and saturation could be a bit much, still, it's a very close Canon (or Sony) color:
![]()
I don't the exact science but footage with filter appears to have more contrast. The LX100 colours are much warmer than the standard Panasonic and in fact even warmer than the Sony standard settings
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.