Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Strobe not effective from <12inches

Started by BC83 ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Strobe not effective from <12inches

11 posts
  1. Hey hey

     

    I used my new rig for the first time in the pool today, I am using a cannon 60D, Tokina 10-17mm with Nauticam housing and 2 Sea and Sea 110a strobes. When shooting in the pool I had to set the camera up at F4 1/10th of a second to get an effective shot, anything else was very under exposed. There is not effect from the strobes hence the longer shutter speed/lower aperture to get an exposed photo. The strobes are on Manual mode, I have also tried them on TTL with the same issue.

     

    Here are some example pics, any help much appreciated

     

     

    post-52766-0-82063900-1448048750_thumb.jpg

    post-52766-0-37278000-1448048758_thumb.png

  2. Hi,

     

    My guess is that you have a sync timing issue. The attached image is not showing any strobe at all.

     

    How are you triggering the strobes? If it is via fiber optic, I would guess that your camera is in TTL flash mode, and the strobes are firing on the pre-flash rather than when the shuttle res open?

     

    Adam

  3. Hi,

     

    My guess is that you have a sync timing issue. The attached image is not showing any strobe at all.

     

    How are you triggering the strobes? If it is via fiber optic, I would guess that your camera is in TTL flash mode, and the strobes are firing on the pre-flash rather than when the shuttle res open?

     

    Adam

     

    Thanks for your reply, the camera flash mode is in E-TTL 11 Mode, the other option is Manual flash, should I be using manual? Fiber optic cable being used.

  4. I don't believe TTL will work with Canon cameras set in manual. Try S, Av or Program modes. Otherwise use manual. At least that's the case for their compacts, might be different for DSLRs. The YS-100a won't work in TTL for several cameras like the Nikon 7000 series, etc.

  5. I don't believe TTL will work with Canon cameras set in manual. Try S, Av or Program modes. Otherwise use manual. At least that's the case for their compacts, might be different for DSLRs. The YS-100a won't work in TTL for several cameras like the Nikon 7000 series, etc.

    Hey hey

     

    I am using the Flash setting on the camera set to TTL and the Strobe set to Manual, strobes are flashing but obviously some kind of sync issue. Do you think I should change the camera setting to manual also?

  6. That's your problem...

     

    Your camera is set to TTL and so is firing a pre flash to ascertain exposure, before opening the shutter. Your strobes are set to manual, so fire as soon as they detect a flash. In this case, they will detect the pre flash and fire.

     

    You need to set your flash camera into Manual not TTL if you plan to use manual mode.

     

    I am not sure of TTL compatibility with the 60D. It may well be that your strobes are not compatible with it. This is not a big issue as in general, manual works just fine!

     

    Adam

  7. Thanks very much Adam, that's helped clear things up. I wanted to use manual not TTL anyhow so will swop the settings over in the camera and try again, I figure it's much better to use manual settings and really get to understand both the camera and strobes. Cheers, I will report back with an update tomorrow!

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. your strobes have 2 different manual settings: one is for preflash, the other is without preflash. are you using the proper one? page 10 of the manual describes the various settings and provides reference to troubleshooting hints.

     

    what power level setting do you have the strobe at? the minimum setting in manual mode is very very low. make sure you have the power turned up high enough.

     

    p.s. you do not need a pool to test things out. your kitchen table will work just fine.

  9. your strobes have 2 different manual settings: one is for preflash, the other is without preflash. are you using the proper one? page 10 of the manual describes the various settings and provides reference to troubleshooting hints.

     

    what power level setting do you have the strobe at? the minimum setting in manual mode is very very low. make sure you have the power turned up high enough.

     

    p.s. you do not need a pool to test things out. your kitchen table will work just fine.

    Thanks for your feedback, the more I can learn the better.

     

    I had the power on full and have just had a quick read of there manual which I managed to find on line so thanks for pointing me towards it

     

    I work in diving so pool access is nice and easy, plus I wanted to get a feel for the camera in the water and take some photo's of our open water course for our Facebook site. The camera does spend a lot of time taking photos of various things on the kitchen table so thought a dip in the pool would be a treat for it! ha

  10. If I remember rightly the instructions of the sea and sea strobes at least the YS D1 have a guide of setting it up the correct way by pointing it at the camera and taking a picture..... If you see the flash it the picture it will be firing at the right time.

  11. Having big now changed the internal camera flash setting to manual all is good with the strobes. This was clearly the issue! Thanks for all your help

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.