Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Definitive Macro for Canon?

Started by BC83 ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Definitive Macro for Canon?

11 posts
  1. Hey hey

     

    I have a Canon 60d with Nauticam housing and 2 YS110a's. Currently have 17-70mm Sigma and 10-17mm Tokina. I have been thinking of getting a Macro, choices are between canon 100mm, Sigma 105 and canon 60mm. Is there a definitive best one or all down to personal choice?

    Look forward to hearing your opinions

     

    Byron

  2. depends, if you dive often in low viz, and also are interested in fish portrait etc, then the 60mm would be better (shorter focus distance, less water and gunk in between). In clear water the 100m gets more interesting... check if the sigma 105 mm has internal focus (otherwise there might be a length difference between infinity and close focus.... (in the end, get both the 60 and 100 mm :-)

  3. Most would recommend start with the Canon 60mm, which is what I did. It is more versatile as you can back off and do fish portraits. The 60 mm also works better in low viz situations as already mentioned. It is also generally easier to use.

     

    I recently also got the Canon 100mm (the newer more expensive one with IS). It is a very nice lens (pricey of course). The longer reach works well for skittish subjects, but of course that works only in good viz. You can also get more magnification with it with a wet diopter (because the longer working distance is cut down). Keep in mind that without a diopter, they both do the same 1:1 magnification. It is just with the 100mm, you will be further from your subject. I don't know much about the Sigma 105 mm. Some people like the Tamron 60 because it can take a teleconverter but I don't have direct experience with that.

     

    Bottom line is I like both the 60mm and the 100mm. The 60mm because more versatile, and the 100mm for skittish subjects and ability to do super-macro with a wet diopter. Start with the 60mm, but eventually you will want to get the 100mm also! :-)

    Edited by dr.rob
  4. For me the definitive macro setup is the Tamron 60 + a 1.4 teleconverter. Great versatility, more magnification out of the box for little things and great results with external diopters.

    Bill

  5. Opened a whole new ball game now talking teleconverters! Cheers guys. I think a 60mm to start, will take a look at both tamron and canon

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. There supposedly is a new Kenko Tele-Plus converter for the EF-s lenses so the Canon might work, but i have not been able to find one to buy.

    Bill

  7. Some good advice here!

     

    Generally I reckon that if you using a DX-type sensor camera then 60mm is the way to go for fish portraits or if you are relatively new to macro. The learning curve with the 60mm is much less steep than with the 100/105mm. But then maybe graduate to the 100/105mm later if you want to get more "macro".

     

    But if you are shooting an FX sensor, 100/105mm is the way to go.

  8. There supposedly is a new Kenko Tele-Plus converter for the EF-s lenses so the Canon might work, but i have not been able to find one to buy.

    Bill

     

    I believe it is the Kenko Teleplus HD DGX 1.4x. It is new this year and has newer electronics. According to Kenko's charts, it works on a greater variety of lenses, including several EF-S lenses such as the 60mm macro.

     

    I just ordered one on Amazon and can report back!

     

    cheers,

     

    Rob

  9. Just looking at the Nauticam port chart and I need a different port depending which macro I go for?

     

    Is there a port that would work for either of the lens just with different extensions? Incase of upgrading in the future

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. For me the definitive macro setup is the Tamron 60 + a 1.4 teleconverter. Great versatility, more magnification out of the box for little things and great results with external diopters.

    Bill

    Thanks for your advice, if I was to buy both of these do you happen to know which port I would need for a Nauticam system? Also do I need a focus gear as its fixed length? Nothing to adjust surely. Does autofocus still work with the teleconverters?

     

    Thanks

     

    Byron

  11.  

    I believe it is the Kenko Teleplus HD DGX 1.4x. It is new this year and has newer electronics. According to Kenko's charts, it works on a greater variety of lenses, including several EF-S lenses such as the 60mm macro.

     

    I just ordered one on Amazon and can report back!

     

    cheers,

     

    Rob

    Hey hey

     

    How did you get on with this item? Have you tried it on s canon EF mount? Do you know if it allows autofocus to be used?

     

    Thanks

     

    Byron

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.