Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Olympus E-M1 vs E-M5ii for underwater

Started by audsred ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Olympus E-M1 vs E-M5ii for underwater

3 posts
  1. For those of you that have used the E-M1 or E-5 ii - which would you recommend for underwater use or maybe wait for E-M1 ii? I am looking to upgrade my E-M5 and trying to choose?

     

    I don't take many land pictures so my focus is which camera would work best for underwater. I plan on using a Nauticam housing, I have the Panasonic 8mm fisheye lenses, Olympus 9-18, 12-50, 60mm, and 12-40 Pro lenses. I take lots of macro and close-ups of fish with some larger animals - like shark and mantis. I have a couple of Inon Z240 and a focus light. I don't use the programmable buttons much so those aren't much of a factor. I shot in manual mode with RAW.

     

    Your thoughts and opinions appreciated.

    Edited by audsred
  2. I have reviewed both of these cameras for uwpmag.com and those reviews can be found in the back issues section. Since these reviews both cameras have had significant firmware upgrades which have added additional features to each camera.

     

    I still think that E-M1 is the better of the two cameras, it is more robust and has better speed in all areas although not by much. Apples to apples the Nauticam NA-EM1 housing has more features built-in to the base housing cost, such as included hand grips, front and rear vertical triggers for front or rear auto focus control and more.

     

    Both Housings will use the same ports, gears and extensions for the listed lenses so the cost differences are in body (both in about the same price range at this time) and a $400.00 difference in the cost of the housing until you start adding to the E-M5 II housing.

     

    Regarding waiting, I would rather be shooting now. A new E-M1 (II) is likely to be announced at Photokina in September 2016 for release in the first quarter of 2017.

  3. HI Phil,

     

    Thanks for the response - I would love to get a new camera and housing - but my pocket book is a bit constrained - so I have been increasing my lens and port collection.

     

    So a really good friend just made me a deal I couldn't (and didn't) refuse on his EM-1 so I guess I will be looking for a used Nauticam housing - some things just work out.

     

    Thanks for your help

     

    Audrey

    Edited by audsred
Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.