Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

5mm wetsuit that says warm topside

Started by Undertow ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

5mm wetsuit that says warm topside

5 posts
  1. Hi Guys and Gals,

     

    I'm looking for recommendations on a 5mm suit that can be kept on topside for long periods while wet. At times I'm in and out of the water all day. Obviously most normal neoprene gets cold and clammy and is worthless.

     

    My first 5mm that accomplished this task was a henderson gold core. The build quality was crap but that liner material was amazing, if a bit stiff. Went through 2 or 3 of those suits. They don't exist anymore.

     

    My current 5mm (that just ripped) is a Pinnacle Merino stretchy suit. The merino lining is great - it doesn't stay quite as warm as my old gold core, but is built and fits better. Still it does the job of staying warm topside and is my top contender for a replacement.

     

    Can anyone suggest other suits? I'm particularly interested in any linings similar to the old henderson gold core.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Chris

     

     

  2. Hey Chris

     

    Have you thought of a tropical weight dry suit? I've never used one but a regular guest at the resort I used to manage swore by them and always used one in the Lembeh Straits where it was 29 degrees usually. He said he could stay as warm as toast both above and below the surface and didn't suffer overheating problems when on the boat.

     

    I know Bermuda well and can certainly appreciate the issue - and then there is the massive water temperature variation between summer and winter. A summer weight wetsuit for the summer and a good jumpsuit underneath in winter might work well.

    Edited by TimG
  3. I think there are lots of "skin in" 5 mil wetsuits available, we get ours custom made from aquaflite but there are others using the same Titanium slippery material.

    Bill

  4. thanks for the suggestions.

     

    It does sound like the aquaflite 'oceanliner' option is similar to the old gold core. I'll look into that. I'm not sure what 'skin in' means and googling only leads to thin dive skins.

     

    Granted, I don't think the mention of 'titanium' from other wetsuit brands means that type of smooth reflective quick drying liner material to which i'm referring. I'm pretty sure thats just a marketing gimmick.

     

    Tim: Yes this is for winter here in Bermuda, though I'd prefer to avoid the bulk and especially the expense of a tropical dry suit. I do already own a 7mm neoprene dry suit from my days in the Northeast US - slight overkill here though. Thanks for the thought.

     

    Any other suggestions on suits (with special liners) that say warm topside would be much appreciated.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Chris

  5. I think skin-in means that the slippery stuff is on the inside. Not anywhere near as durable as the straight neoprene suits but much warmer.

    Bill

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.