Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sony A7RII and nauticam flash trigger

Started by poisons ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Sony A7RII and nauticam flash trigger

4 posts
  1. I've the Sony A7RII with the nauticam housing NA-A7II and the inon Z240 strobes.

    I'm pretty new in the uw photography, so I could write things sound obvious to many of you.

    The first problem is the flash trigger.

    The camera never know the flash is there, so I've to bypass the live screen view that simulate the final view with the settings I've set. Is that a common problem or I can use some other triggers?

     

    The second problem is the flash and the s-ttl feature. It seems to me it doesn't work, I see no pre-flash. Am I wrong? How can I be sure it works?

     

    Thanks all will spend time answering :)

  2. Hi poisons,

     

    I use also a Sony A7rII in the Nauticam housing with the Nauticam LED-Flash trigger and INON flashes.

    Yes it is correct, the camera "see" now flash, because of this you have set the Live View Settings to OFF.

    The LED trigger gives only a trigger signal to the flash, because of this, you don't have any TTL, you have to set the flash settings all manually.

     

    Greetings from Switzerland,

     

    Tino

  3. interesting...

    I want to know more about nauticam Sony A7II housing.

    I'm planning to buy one soon

    So, If we are using live view on the camera, can we trigger the flash??

    Or in order to use the Inon flash on this housing, we have to use the viewfinder mode.

     

    Thanks

     

    Andree

  4. Andree --

     

    If you're using the Nauticam Optical Flash Trigger + Inon Strobes with fiber optic cables, you'll be able to trigger the flash (manual only, no TTL) in either viewfinder mode or live view (monitor) mode.

     

    However, because the camera doesn't recognize the flash, it will act like there is no flash, so you can't set the A7RII to show (on the screen or in the viewfinder) an accurate preview of what the final exposure will be like.

     

    For me, this seems a bit of a moot point, since the live preview isn't an accurate way to pre-judge the overall exposure when using fill-in flash because the camera doesn't know what your flash settings are and the subject distance, so it has no way of accurately previewing the foreground exposure for fill-in flash photography.

     

    On the GH4 for example, with the built-in flash flipped up, the live exposure preview displays the background (ambient) illumination as brighter than what actually would be captured given your aperture/shutter speed/iso settings in order to simulate for the fill in flash. So if you use the live exposure preview to gauge the exposure of the background, the overcompensation is going to trick you into thinking the background exposure is brighter than reality. On my GH4, I usually turn the flash off quickly to judge actual background exposure in live preview, then turn it back on for the shot.

     

    It sounds like the A7RII defaults to showing you the actual ambient exposure when in live view mode if using the Nauticam optical flash trigger, which is more useful for judging exposure, though it may make it harder to actually see and compose the scene. I wonder what it does if you're using electrical sync cables for flash triggering. Anyone doing that?

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.