Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Anyone Tried Nauticam's Shutter Release Extension?

Started by bmorescuba ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Anyone Tried Nauticam's Shutter Release Extension?

9 posts
  1. This article caught my eye:

     

    http://reefphoto.com/kb.php?id=88

     

    and I was wondering if anyone has installed this and tried it underwater. If you've tried it on a smaller housing (like the NA-EM10) that would be of even more interest. I shoot exclusively with back button focus and assign F1 to the focus function. In order to press F1 and release the shutter in a coordinated manner, I have to have my right hand in between the right tray handle and the right of the housing. Even at the widest extension, there's not a lot of room in there for someone with big hands or gloves. It seems like this device might make it so that I don't have to do this anymore, and could have my right hand in a more natural position, like it would be in a DSLR housing.

     

    The NA-EM10 housing does not have the metal brackets. I've seen an part number that is the right handle bracket, but not a kit with both. Seems odd.

     

    Thanks for any info.

     

    p_70.jpg

     

  2. I got one for my GH4, but had to print a bracket for it to fit.

     

    post-43742-0-90910000-1448985172_thumb.jpg

     

    I took it off in the end as the button layout on my NA-GH3 wasn't useful if using the trigger (and trying to WB and back focus) as all the buttons were too fair from my thumb.

  3. I've ordered one for my NA-EM10, should be delivered today.

    I'll fit it and report on it.

    Won't get a chance to try it underwater until Feb.

  4. I have used the shutter release for the LX100 and found it very effective to use. if you have a nauticam tray already I would recommend the release even if it makes the whole rig even more complex to put together when travelling

  5. I have used the shutter release for the LX100 and found it very effective to use. if you have a nauticam tray already I would recommend the release even if it makes the whole rig even more complex to put together when travelling

    It looks like the NA-LX100 is "bare" like the NA-EM10 that I have. I do have the Flexitray with both handles. Do you mind if I ask what additional parts you had to order to get this installed? Specifically the metal bracing bracket things. Thanks!

  6. There were some brackets that are specific to the housing. I got rid of the LX100 so i don't remember exactly

  7. The right handle bracket I ordered, which has EM10 laser-cut into it, does not fit my NA-EM10 housing. In correspondence with Reef Photo about this, should know more tomorrow.

  8. Update: My housing is too old to allow the right-handle bracket to be fitted, to which the trigger release is attached. So I cannot use the bracket or therefore the trigger.

    Reef has updated their website with the following information:

    "Only compatible with housings starting with a serial number of A080640 and after."

     

    I'll be returning the trigger and bracket. Dang.

  9. Update: My housing is too old to allow the right-handle bracket to be fitted, to which the trigger release is attached. So I cannot use the bracket or therefore the trigger.

    Reef has updated their website with the following information:

    "Only compatible with housings starting with a serial number of A080640 and after."

     

    I'll be returning the trigger and bracket. Dang.

    What a shame. Thank you for sharing this information, though. This is exactly the reason I asked the WP community in the first place.

     

    I just checked and I'm 080617, so I guess I'm 23 shy of having this able to work....Should have waited another month to buy my housing!

    Edited by bmorescuba
Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.