hi all was interested in getting a teleconverter 1,4 for use with my tokina 10 -17 for close focus wide angle stuff. i then found out that my camera has a 1.3 x extra crop in its menu nikon d7100. my question is will the 1.3x crop in the menu work the same as a teleconverter with the tokina lens? if it does it could save me the price of an extenion ring and a new zoom gear. sorry if answer is obvious im realy new to all this cfwa stuff. cheers steve
Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic
nikon d7100 1.3x crop mode vrs 1-4 teleconverter with 10-17 tokina
Started by steve c r ·
- 11Posts
- 11Replies
Read-only discussion
nikon d7100 1.3x crop mode vrs 1-4 teleconverter with 10-17 tokina
-
-
tried it out and it seems to work subject appears closer to lens and bigger in frame on 1.3x crop cant compare with teleconverter though as i dont have item
-
Good to know, I have the D7200. I'll try that in Honduras next week.
-
is this not basically the same as cropping in post? you lose megapixels either way
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
with the tc you dont lose megapixels but you lose a bit of quality ie contrast, color, sharpness etc
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
I am sure that is true but switch back and forth from normal mode and 1.3 crop mode sort of gives you two lenses in one and I think still enough pixels to work with. I am headed to Honduras tomorrow and will surely try this out.
-
think i read somwhere that the 1.3 crop gives the same pixel count as the d 7000 wich was plenty not to long ago.
-
aquapaul it will be quite a while till i get back in the water so let me know how honduras goes paul . also can you let me know how your getting on with your 7200 its what im considering upgrading to not sure if it is differant enough from 7100 yet though any points you have noticed good and bad would be appreciated .
-
-
aquapaul it will be quite a while till i get back in the water so let me know how honduras goes paul . also can you let me know how your getting on with your 7200 its what im considering upgrading to not sure if it is differant enough from 7100 yet though any points you have noticed good and bad would be appreciated .
The 7200 may focus a little better in darker conditions, especially with macro. I think the dynamic range may be a little better too. I am here in Roatan, the vis sucks, lots of rain last week so I have been mainly shooting macro. But I have tinkered with the 1.3 crop a bit topside and I think that you can crop in post and get the same results.
-
sorry to hear about vis /rain etc on your trip but thanks for info on camera.
-
I have a Nauticam housing for the D7100 inc a zoom ring for sale
perfect condition. Very lightly used. Currently listed on Ebay.
? interested
i am interested.. how much?