Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Nikon 105mm VS comparer to other versions of Nikon 105mm

Started by clernix ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon 105mm VS comparer to other versions of Nikon 105mm

4 posts
  1. From what I can tell there are three versions of the Nikon micro 105mm. The newest and most pricey being the 105 AF-S VR. (forgive me if I am getting some of the discriptive letters wrong). I realize on the older versions when you focus on 1:1 the lens extends out and becomes very long.

     

    I haven't shot with it but the first disadvantage that comes to mind is light. Are there others?

     

    Do people shoot with the AI-S or the AF version of lenses in general. The price difference is pretty significant.

  2. The AFS VR version is the newest. AF-D is the previous version. The AI-S is manual focus.

     

    This is the review I wrote on using the 105mm AFS VR when it was new - in 2006!

     

    http://wetpixel.com/articles/nikon-105mm-vr-review

     

    I have not used the older version since writing that review. I now own two VR versions.

     

    Alex

  3. I own the 85mm AFS-VR. They are without a doubt good lenses. I was just curious if anyone is using older model lenses. The glass is actually really good in some of the older lenses. While they do have drawbacks but I was wondering if anyone had any adivice on how they overcame them. Or has everyone just switched to the newer lenses. One of the reasons I bought the D7100 was the lens focus motor in the housing. It opens up a larger line of lenses. Then I end up buying lenses with focus motors.

     

    It was just something I was curious about.

  4. When I was shooting a D7000, I used the 105VR and the older 60/2.8 D both in the port for the 105 (#87 Nauticam). I really liked the older 60 and I had really nice results with it. With my D810 it vignettes in port 87 so I don't use it anymore.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.