Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Critter ID: Tiny critter in the Lembeh Strait

Started by ornate_wrasse ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Critter ID: Tiny critter in the Lembeh Strait

3 posts
  1. This may be too tiny to identify but I was hoping someone would know what it is. I have posted the image on my Facebook page as part of the 7 day Nature Challenge and I figured it would be a good idea to know what it is :-)

     

    In the image, the dive guide is pointing to the critter.

     

    Thanks.

     

    ellen

    post-5091-0-89276800-1450824154_thumb.jpg

  2. The easy part is that it is a fish. It could be a juvenile which can always hard to ID. Without opening a book here are some suggestions. If it is a juvenile I would lean towards one of the different kinds of scorpionfish or a flathead. In the non-juvenile category you could consider a dragonet. They have the wedge-shape structure of a head and can have this type of saddle-banding across their back.

     

    Bart

  3. I think this is a flathead, a member of the Platycephalidae family.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.