Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Need lens cap - Nauticam 87 macro port

Started by phxazcraig ·

  • 15Posts
  • 15Replies

Read-only discussion

Need lens cap - Nauticam 87 macro port

15 posts
  1. Just went on my first dives with a DSLR housing and macro port, in my case a Nauticam NA-D810 with the macro port for a Nikon 105vr lens.

     

    And, as I was worried would happen, I managed to lose the lens cap to the macro port on the first day, probably aboard the dive boat.

     

    Anyone know where/how to get a replacement, or equivalent?

     

  2. If it was a Nautical supplied port cover, can they not provide a replacement? Worth contacting, say, Reef Photo or Backscatter?

     

    Sometimes you can find a good substitute: for example a Tupperware - or similar - round cake box.... (honest!). It's worth taking the port into a hardware store and looking around. Chances are you can find something for $5 - a opposed to $50 for a Nauticam one :crazy:

  3. My apologies! No offence was intended at Nauticam. So many bits of accessories for u/w gear seem so expensive for what they are. $20 seems a pretty good deal.

  4. Hi,

     

    is it 87mm or 67mm (Alex' link leads to a 67mm cap)? For 67mm you find lens caps for a dollar or two on ebay. Buy 10-20 of them for the price of the Nauticam cap and you have some spare ones! 87mm is not so common and may be harder to find.

    Jock

  5. I would have to agree with the comments about using standard / cheap lens covers of the appropriate size.

     

    I have the Nauticam Macro port for Olympus 12-50 lens and it came with a pretty much non-functional cover.

     

    With the glass so close to the end of the port I worried about not only attaching a cover, but the glass contacting the bottom if I wasn't paying attention while shooting macro. To solve this I bought a 77mm rubber sun shade (plastic threads) which gave me an extra 1/2" clearance from the glass and did not interfere with the optics at the wide end as long as and the shade was kept folded. Easy to fit a 77mm lens cap on with lanyard around the port. The standard lanyard is actually long enough to pull the lens cap back behind the housing and wrap around my housing tether to keep it from floating into the shot. After over a year of constant use the tiny metal springs did rust out... I do try to support my regular dive shop / housing source whenever I can, but there is something to be said for dropping by any camera shop for a cheap and easy lens cap.

     

    As an added bonus the rubber sun shade leveled out the camera when sitting on the table as the handles & tray protruded from the underside of the housing causing it to tip. I also feel less guilty when I occasionally rest the rubber shade on the bottom to stabilize the shot / improve the angle as opposed to the aluminum port alone (typically soft bottom or rocky substrate).

     

     

    Regards,

     

     

    Adam

  6. I use a standard 67mm lens cap!

     

    Adam

  7. I use a standard 67mm lens cap!

     

    Adam

     

    Ditto...the one I use was like 2 or 3 bucks from B&H...works great.

  8. I just took the Nikon cap (67mm) off the 105vr and it fit the Nauticam port, so I'll go find a cheapie cap and start there.

  9. Thanks to all.

     

    How do you deal with the cap when diving? Do you take it off before entering the water? Or try to put it in your BC pocket like I did?

     

    If I had taken the time to put a string in the little loop on the cap, I could have had it attached to the camera, though I am a bit unsure of the logistics of doing that where the cap doesn't become a problem underwater.

  10. I'd suggest you take it off before you you enter the water and leave it onshore. I almost never take a lens cap/cover. Occasionally I have taken a neoprene cover on my big dome port if there's a RIB ride involved. But even then... it's usually more trouble than it's worth.

  11. I use a clip on shoulder strap from some old luggage to carry my DLSR to the boat. I put that inside the port cover on the camera table along with a a two pound weight. It's always there when I get back. If I forget and the camera is handed to me with the cover on, I put it in my wife's BC pocket.

     

    How do you deal with the cap when diving? Do you take it off before entering the water? Or try to put it in your BC pocket like I did?

     

  12. I'd suggest you take it off before you you enter the water and leave it onshore. I almost never take a lens cap/cover. Occasionally I have taken a neoprene cover on my big dome port if there's a RIB ride involved. But even then... it's usually more trouble than it's worth.

     

    Same as Tim. No real reason to bring a macro port cap into the water, IMO.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.