Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

A different look at Octopuses

Started by Oceanshutter ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

A different look at Octopuses

12 posts
  1. I wanted to share a short film I made recently. Back in October, I was lucky enough for it to be selected to be shown at the San Diego Undersea Film Expo. It seems that most underwater films are very similar now days. So I wanted to challenge myself to do something a little different.

     

    Earlier this year, a young artist, named Nick Carro approached me to ask my permission to draw an image from one of my films that had an octopus in it. I was flattered, but had one condition...that was for him to show me the final piece. Not only did produce an amazing piece of art, but he also filmed himself doing it. He was kind enough to allow me to use some of his footage to make this film.

     

    This is different.....and I am curious to know what people think of it. It was a very difficult to edit, but I think it turned out pretty good. Let me know what you think.

    Enjoy!

    Dustin

     

     

     

    Or Youtube

     

     

  2. Wow! This is an amazing piece of work, Dustin. I really like the way you have drawn together the various techniques and styles. It makes for fascinating - and very different - viewing. And terrific videography.

     

    Just fantastic! Congratulations.

     

    Thanks so much for sharing it with us

  3. Wow, amazing work. I really liked the transitions where the artwork morphed into the live animal, or vice versa. I can't even imagine how you did that, but it is a very impressive technique. I generally like your work, but this may be the my favorite of all of the pieces that you've posted here.

     

    Can you tell that I'm impressed? :notworthy:

    Edited by SwiftFF5
  4. Beautiful editing and transitions from live to the actual painting.

    :clapping::clapping:

     

    Diggy

  5. Wow! This is an amazing piece of work, Dustin. I really like the way you have drawn together the various techniques and styles. It makes for fascinating - and very different - viewing. And terrific videography.

     

    Just fantastic! Congratulations.

     

    Thanks so much for sharing it with us

     

    Thank you so much for watching it!

    Wow, amazing work. I really liked the transitions where the artwork morphed into the live animal, or vice versa. I can't even imagine how you did that, but it is a very impressive technique. I generally like your work, but this may be the my favorite of all of the pieces that you've posted here.

     

    Can you tell that I'm impressed? :notworthy:

     

    Thank you! Glad you liked it.

    Beautiful editing and transitions from live to the actual painting.

    :clapping::clapping:

     

    Diggy

     

    Thanks Diggy!

  6. Hi,
    wohw,
    realy great!!!

    Regards,
    Wolfgang

  7. Hi,

    wohw,

    realy great!!!

    Regards,

    Wolfgang

    Thank you Wolfgang. Glad you liked it.

  8. Wow. Just wow. You both deserve awards for this!

     

    BTW since you asked for opinions, I will share one. The time shifting feels a little too artificial to me. I think I understand why you played with the speed, to match the soundtrack (which you did very well) but I would have preferred real time. That said, it works great as is!

    Edited by troporobo
  9. Wow. Just wow. You both deserve awards for this!

     

    BTW since you asked for opinions, I will share one. The time shifting feels a little too artificial to me. I think I understand why you played with the speed, to match the soundtrack (which you did very well) but I would have preferred real time. That said, it works great as is!

     

    Thanks for the comment, and opinion. Glad you liked it.

  10. GJ!!

  11. GJ!!

    Thank you!

  12. Really good stuff here, good work!!

     

    Cheers.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.