Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

What is this, from Grenada

Started by phxazcraig ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

What is this, from Grenada

6 posts
  1. Still no guesses? Coral? Algae?

  2. Hi phxacraig

     

    I'd suggest it's algae - maybe pink bush algae (wrangelia pencillata) or Swiss Cheese Alga (hydroclathrus clathrus) - but pretty hard to say, for me at least!

    Edited by TimG
  3. I also think that it is algae.

  4. Hi,
    yes indeed algae.
    The red ones are a wide spread typus, so not easy to find out which one special...
    Possible are as well:
    Halarachnion ligulatum
    Halymenia floresii or https://www.meerwasser-lexikon.de/tiere/5658_Halymenia_durvillei.htm
    Hypoglossum hypoglossoides

    https://www.meerwasser-lexikon.de/kategorie/47.html
    gives you an overview about algae in seawater tanks, you can see that its hard to id one....
    Thats as well a problem of the www....
    If someone tells you its this one, and a lot of people just copy it, its not wright, but often written ;-))

    maybe pink bush algae (wrangelia pencillata) is for me to thin / fragile
    Swiss Cheese Alga (hydroclathrus clathrus) is a brown algae, not that pointet leafs

    Its realy hard, because a scientific descriebed one, can look very differnet if current, light or nutritions are different...
    I have a book from Mr. Braune, he was director in an museeum in germany with 600 pages only algae....
    And even this books is sometimes not helpfull.....
    We have / had a lot of different species in our saltwater tanks, but its allways hard to find the one you have...

    Regards,
    Wolfgang

  5. Hi,

    yes indeed algae.

     

    Regards,

    Wolfgang

     

    Thanks Wolfgang - at least I know it is a type of algae now. I couldn't even begin to find it online, plus I was looking at corals as well. I think it most looks like Halymenia floresii.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.