Hi all,
Fairly new to this forum (lurking for some time now, but just joined to get more "active"). I have a Canon G9 with standard WP-DC21 UW housing. I have it for 7 years more or less now. I am happy with some of the photos it took, but honestly failed to use it as much as I wanted as the results here (Zeeland in The Netherlands) were often dissappointing, usually due to the amount of dust/sand... In the end, i didn't take it underwater anymore (except on diving trips abroad). And because someone I consider an expert told me you better buy "a full set" rather than upgrades afterwards, I never invested in a seperate strobe. So theoretically I am probably not a newbie, but I feel like one.
Topside, I also have a Canon 550D, but I don't think the next best thing for me to do is to go shooting DSLR under water (I have the money, but not ready to spend it).
But now I am struggling. My first idea was to buy a new camera with housing (considering something in the range of the G7X, RX100, LX100 or maybe a PEN EPL7 m4/3) and add a strobe. However, the more I read about it, the more I wonder if I shouldn't just go with a strobe first. I won't become a better photographer with a newer camera. Also looking at the pictures I take, I am not sure I have already decided which kind of photographer I want to be. I've tried a lot and failed almost just as often.
I wished it was faster, and I think newer (larger?) sensors would improve IQ, although that is also related to my struggle with lighting. Video could be improved too, but I am not too worried about that at the moment.
What would be your opinion: would it be stupid to just buy a strobe (I was looking at the Inon D2000 or Z240)? Although I am really careful with my stuff, I am sure one day my G9 will die, and i don't want to end up limiting my choices later by taking the wrong decision now. Or would you recommend something completely different?
Really happy with all your thoughts!