Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Help with Olympus PT-010

Started by esiegel227 ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Help with Olympus PT-010

6 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    My wife and I are travling in Asia, and I just purchased the PT-010 for my C-2020 Zoom. Unfortunately, the manual is in Japanese and I can't locate an english version. Can anyone give me some advice on the finer points of using this housing? I have read the posts on this site and have learned a lot, about using dessicants, avoiding fogging, etc., but I would like to know the "must know" nuts & bolts about using the housing since I don't want to drown our camera. Can anyone offer an explanation of some things I might miss just by putting the camera in the casing and using it? A lot of it is obvious, but I'm sure there are some things I need to know that I can't discern from the Japanese manual. Perhaps a short step by step on what to do? On the off chance someone could scan a few of the important pages of the manual and email them, that would be wonderful as well.

  2. Didn't Jeff (Sharpdiver) post a very good description in Steve's Digicam forums last year ?

    Jeff, maybe you can help here.

     

    If you happen to understand german, try this link:

    http://www.multimedia-online.ch/html/bedienung.html

     

    Unfortunately my manual is japanese too (do they have english ones also ?)

     

    What to do:

     

    Step 1:

    Check the housing without camera first.

     

    Step 2:

    Prepare camera:

    - check camera settings (ISO 100, display mode, flash mode, AF mode, resolution and compression mode, ...)

    - check batteries (1800 rechargable ones are good for 2 dives,

    - check storage card

     

    Step 3:

    Prepare Housing

    - make sure none of those small screws started to loose up,

     

    Step 4:

    - Put your camera in the housing

    - add at least 1 silica gel pack

    - Take out the o-ring and clean it and the area around it. Check for sand, dust and single small hairs.

    - close the housing (make sure that nothing got stuck !!!)

    - check if all camera functions are accesable (on, off, zoom, flash, display, menu)

     

    Step 5:

    Test in fresh water before you dive (some small bubbles of trapped air may rise up if you put the housing in a water tank but that should end after some seconds

     

    Step 6:

    Enjoy your dive and take lots of beautiful pictures.

    Try to get as close as you can if you're using the internal flash.

    Play around with the macro mode and spot metering.

    I have set my display to turn into sleep mode after some minutes, it is reactivated by double pressing the display button.

    Get used to the AF trap (by pressing the release shutter only half way down)

     

    Step 7:

    After the dive rinse the housing in fresh water. If you plan to do a second dive and you don't have to change batteries or storage card, store the housing with camera in a fresh water tank or wrap it in a wet towel.

     

    Step 8:

    Make sure that the housing is dry before you open it.

     

    I hope that helps and that i didn't forget something important

     

    Sabine

  3. Oops, Allan's response was a bit faster. I'll have to speed up my English

    Sabine :)

  4. Thanks everyone!

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.