Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Ikelite 600D Flooding

Started by MarcusMalta ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Ikelite 600D Flooding

3 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    On my recent trip to Komodo I had an accident where my Ikelite housing for Canon 600D got flooded. It was an accident after I hit the port lock with the boat. My 8 inch dome port hood cracked but miraculously the glass part remained intact. Camera and Lens gone. I had a Tokina 10-17mm. Obviously I bought again both Camera and lens after the trip. I had a Sony NEX 5N complete with housing which saved my trip.

     

    After I dried everything in hotel and thoroughly cleaned the housing I tested the TTL circuitry. It worked as lights on housing were on. I detached the cords and packed it neatly. When I came back I reassembled my gear after buying camera and lens. TTL lights stayed off. When I put the sync cord in housing terminal one of my DS51 starts flashing at its own will and its red light starts to dim. A friend of mine is telling that it might be the sync cord and has nothing to do with the flooding. I will try another sync cord this week and in the even it does the same than its from the housing TTL circuitry and will ship it for service. Please advice.

     

    Another issue I have is the viewfinder which has mildly smoked up and need a cleaning. Can be taken of with a butter knife and unscrewing it from housing but cannot be reached for cleaning in the insides. If I take it off again and soak it in warm water and soap or glass cleaner, will it be a good idea? Please advice.

     

    Thanks

     

     

     

  2. I don't think that soaking the viewfinder will fix it. It is best to soak items in distilled water as it doesn't contain any minerals. There is a o-ring on the outside glass of the viewfinder that can be removed for disassembly however it is quite a job getting it back in place. ikelite is one of the best service company's you will find so I strongly suggest that you send all items back to them for evaluation or repair. Even if you get the strobes to fire are you going to be sure that they are properly sending the TTL signals and working 100%?

     

    Sorry to here about your problems.

     

    Bill

  3. Thanks Bill. I will def take your advice and send the housing for proper evaluation.

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.