Hi all, I,m off to Reethi Beach in the Maldives in a couple of weeks. I don't dive but do snorkel. I have a Sony RX100 mark3 with a Ikelite case, would I benefit from a flash, such as the Ikleite AF35 or similar?
Cheers
Read-only discussion
Hi all, I,m off to Reethi Beach in the Maldives in a couple of weeks. I don't dive but do snorkel. I have a Sony RX100 mark3 with a Ikelite case, would I benefit from a flash, such as the Ikleite AF35 or similar?
Cheers
Probably not. A flash doesn't reach out very far with its light, and it is hard for a snorkeler to get very close to anything.
Yeah, I tend to agree with tursiops
The range of a flash (often called a strobe in underwater use) is generally in the 1-3 feet range. So not very far.
As tusiops suggests, if you are snorkelling the chances are you not going to getting close to something and be able to hold a position to frame and take a pic while breath-holding - unless you are really good! Which you might be, of course.
But, on balance, probably not worth it.
Many thanks gents, my bank balance will be relieved.
Make the most of it, Iala, If you visit us very often that feeling won't last ![]()
Have a great time in the Maldives.
I agree with the others. Photography while snorkeling is hard enough (use weights to balance your buoyancy will help you a lot), and with a strobe arm it will be harder. If you are in snorkeling weather (nice and sunny), you'll not need a flash anyway, down to at least 10 feet.
Hi Sarah
I'm sure someone who knows Canon lenses will chip-in - but one thought: the EOS Rebel T2i is, I think, an APS-C size chip, i.e., not an "FX" type sensor the same size roughly as 35mm, but slightly smaller.
Generally speaking, if you're relatively new to u/w shooting and macro, the advice is to use a shorter macro to start with on an APS-C camera. So (as a Nikon user) to start with a 60mm macro and then at a later date maybe move to a 105mm macro. The Canon EF100mm will be the broad equivalent of the Nikkor 105mm.
The longer macros are a bit trickier to use to start off with - and the shorter length gives good fish portraits as well as macro.
But doubtless someone will chip-in with helpful advice from the Canon perspective.
Hi Sarah
I'm sure someone who knows Canon lenses will chip-in - but one thought: the EOS Rebel T2i is, I think, an APS-C size chip, i.e., not an "FX" type sensor the same size roughly as 35mm, but slightly smaller.
Generally speaking, if you're relatively new to u/w shooting and macro, the advice is to use a shorter macro to start with on an APS-C camera. So (as a Nikon user) to start with a 60mm macro and then at a later date maybe move to a 105mm macro. The Canon EF100mm will be the broad equivalent of the Nikkor 105mm.
The longer macros are a bit trickier to use to start off with - and the shorter length gives good fish portraits as well as macro.
But doubtless someone will chip-in with helpful advice from the Canon perspective.
OP has a Sony RX100 compact. Where does the Canon SLR discussion come from?
OP has a Sony RX100 compact. Where does the Canon SLR discussion come from?
LOL, it was a reply to a post that has been removed. No worries!
Hi lala,
I have done lots of snorkelling as well as diving in the Maldives. I would not worry about a strobe, you will get close enough to the fish and corals (and fingers crossed other things) not need one in the clear shallow waters of the reefs edge. One thing I would say is try and take pictures in shallow water so you are letting lots of ambient light in. There is a LOT of life at 2m and under.
Have a great trip.
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.