Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Scratch on macro lens

Started by WetPup ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Scratch on macro lens

5 posts
  1. Hi everyone,

     

    I've just been cleaning up my gear after the latest dive trip, and have noticed a small scratch on my +8 diopter. Presumably it knocked against something during a dive. I took it into my local camera store today to see if they had any ideas, but the woman just looked at me blankly, shrugged, and walked away when I showed it to her. They don't specialise in underwater gear by any means, but I figured scratches on any lens would kind of be dealt with in a similar way, and surely people have come to them with scratched regular camera lenses before...At any rate, does anyone know if there's a way to remove a minor scratch to a macro lens? Or am I SOL and have to buy a new one?

     

    Thanks in advance

    WetPup

  2. Hi WetPup

     

    Can you actually see the the effects of the scratch on the final image? If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

     

    But if you can see it, and the diopter is made of glass (which I guess it will be) then quite possibly replacement might be the only option..... I'm not sure you can polish out a significant scratch successfully from a lens or diopter.

  3. Tim is right. There are multiple companies that can resurface glass optics but mostly they are serious $, probably more than you paid for the lens. Call Precision Camera for a quote (but don't be surprised if it is several hundred $)

    Bill

  4. You can rub out plastic. A number of threads on this board about that. Glass is probably tempered. Which can't be rubbed out.

  5. *sigh* Yes, it's glass.

     

    Will take it out for a test run and see what shows up on the images and whether or not it can be dealt with in Photoshop before forking out for a new one.

     

    Thanks anyway :)

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.