Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Subal DP-100 dome port vs Zen DP-100

Started by DavidG ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Subal DP-100 dome port vs Zen DP-100

6 posts
  1. Hi everyone,

    I have been using the Subal DP-FE dome port for a few years and I love it, especially for split photography with my Tokina 10-17 but I thought it was about time to get a smaller one for traveling.

    I'm not sure if I should get the Subal DP-100 dome port or the Zen DP-100? Does anyone know what's the difference between the two ports? The Subal port is a little cheaper than the Zen.

    Thanks

    David

  2. Hi David

     

    I don't know if there is any real, visible difference in the image quality. I used a Zen DP-100 for a couple of years on my Subal housing with a D300 and a Tokina 10-17 and thought it very good. No problem at all and, as you say, great for travelling.

     

    The small domes are hopeless though for over/unders. The DP-FE is much, much better!

     

    Best wishes

     

    Tim

  3. Thanks Tim,

    I just want to get a smaller port for traveling and I think the smaller port will give me the option to move the strobes forward a little more than DP-FE for new angles.

    Thanks

  4. Yep, it'll do that, David. They're great for CFWA. And for travelling, unbeatable!

     

    Hope all's well there in TCI. Nice to hear from you.

  5. There is an older Subal 4" port, DP 54B, that will also work

     

    Elmer

  6. I have the Subal small dome (and also the large 9"). And I believe that they are exactly the same (I think Subal sources them from ZEN, but I am not sure). Anyways, just to make it clear: when comparing with the bigger domes, especially against the very large 9 inch dome, one will loose image quality quite a bit with the small domes...never shoot with apertures larger than let's say f/16, but at f 16 there is already some diffraction...

    but for CFWA in combination with a fisheye it is unbeatable off course, as well as the obvious advantages for traveling (although I have shaved the dome sun cover and also the Sigma sun shield quite a bit). I usually have both dome ports with me, the large one and the small on, because of the very limitations of the small ones. If you ask me I would not recommend to replace a large dome with the smaller one.

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.