I got all my photos with dark round corner when I use subsee10 for macro. Is that due to extension too long, inappropriate lens or there is something missing in my camera set?
My camera set is Nikon D810, Nikon 60mm f/2.8D Lens, Ikelite housing, Ikelite (IK5510.22) 4.125 inch Lens Extension, Ikelite (IK5510.35) Modular Flat Port Assembly, Subsee +10
Sample photo using: 1/160s, ISO 200, F14
Thanks
David
Your Subsee +10 is too far away from the end of the lens so you need a shorter more appropriate extension or another way to get the Subsee +10 closer to the lens.
what size extension do you recommend for my Nikon 60mm Lens?
I am now trying to buy Zen 230mm dome for my Nikon 16-35mm wide angel lens. Ikelite website recommend 5.1 inch (129mm) extension port, but I find 60mm extension may work for ZEN 230 and Nikon 16-35mm based on some posts on Wetpixel. 60mm v.s. 129mm is a very big difference, I don't know if I need to follow Ikelite's suggestion.
Any idea?
What is the diameter of your subsee? how far was it from the front of the flat port? How much room was there between the front of the lens and the inside of the flat port?
Subsee 10's diameter: 52 mm.
Distance from the front of the flat port: ~5mm
Distance between the front of the Nikon lens and the inside of the flat port: depends on zoom, and actually never measured.
Check also that you use the lens at 1:1 / minimum focus.
I found out accidentally that especially for super macro that the recommended extensions are not necessarily the best. My 105 with the recommended extension is nearly a ½ inch from the glass. I never thought much about it until I accidentally put the wrong extension on and the lens was only a whisker away from the glass. Easier focusing and somewhat easier to find your little critter you're trying to shoot and no black corners, but with a 105 black corners is not really a problem.
I think the problem may be that the subsea is too small I believe my new ones are 67MM
I found out accidentally that especially for super macro that the recommended extensions are not necessarily the best. My 105 with the recommended extension is nearly a ½ inch from the glass. I never thought much about it until I accidentally put the wrong extension on and the lens was only a whisker away from the glass. Easier focusing and somewhat easier to find your little critter you're trying to shoot and no black corners, but with a 105 black corners is not really a problem.
Yes, that is what I thought. I am now planning to by extension port for my zen 230 dome. Ikelite recommend 5.1inch/129mm entension. I think that is too long for Nikon 16-35mm and Zen 230. Reallly really hard to make decision.
Check also that you use the lens at 1:1 / minimum focus.
Not sure how to check, any detail?
I think the problem may be that the subsea is too small I believe my new ones are 67MM
Really, per subsee website, they only have 52 mm , lens diameter only, not including frame
Preset the focus on 1:1 and leave it on manual focus. Or try focussing on something contrasty until you can't focus any closer.
The 60mm 2.8D doesn't keep the same size like the 60mm 2.8G lens. I had the same result using the D version and Subsee 10 in my Nauticam macro port 87 (designed for the 105mm lens).