So far none of the reviews i've seen give actual dimensions of the two bodies. The Q and playback buttons are smaller on the 80D, but look to be in the same position. Based purely on pictures - it sure looks like it will work. Intrigued by the claimed improvements in low light autofocus and video capabilities. Probably wouldn't be in a hurry to upgrade - except I suddenly have a need for a new body.
To make a long story short, I put a box filled with packing peanuts in the garage with my 70D camera body in it (had just been returned to me from a housing service and was trying to get it out of the way of the big boss at home); and my son put the entire box in the recycle and now a $1000 camera body is in a landfill : (
My next trip isn't until June so not an emergency - but would like to know so I can decide which way to go.