I am not in need of a compact camera for underwater use, but I have a family member who would like one and I was thinking of getting him a housing. I know he can purchase a new Sony RX100II of about $425 and I have found an almost new Nauticam housing for this camera that I can get for about $500.00. I have been very happy with my Nauticam housings.
I know the camera is not current, and really haven't spent much time following developments in this market, but thought maybe this would be a good choice. Leaving aside strobes and arms and such, that would get him a camera and housing for about $1000.
Is there something else in that approximate price range I should look at? I am only going to buy about $500 worth of stuff as a gift...the rest is on him. I don't think he would spend much more than money than I have just described.
Thanks.
The rx100 mk2 is still a very good camera.... The mk3 and mk4 has better video taking (4k) resolution. And a wider angle, but imo not too significant...
Well, thank you hellhole, but the housing I was thinking of getting as a gift has gone away, so I will wait and see what he seems to like and see if I can chip in to help him out, so please disregard my question.
I bought a Meikon aluminium housing for RX100III at around 500 price. Well built and brand new. A new housing for RX100 IV costs the same
The RX100 Mark II is the best compact for underwater use period. Try to get a Nauticam housing second hand or even new all other housing do not work so well with wet lenses.
The newer cameras have a 24-70mm lens or even 24-100mm lens that are too short or too wide to use wet lenses some even need ports. Example are the Canon G7X, Panasonic LX100, Sony RX100 Mark III/IV
The video is still pretty good and unless you have a 4K Tv you won't see major differences with the mark IV.
I sold my Mark II housing and camera and I got now a Panasonic GX7 the pictures are the same in dynamic range but the lenses are sharper video wise it is the same of the Mark II. I have also a Mark IV but other than 4K video I am not planning to use it for picture due to to painful 24-70mm lens
The RX100 Mark II is the best compact for underwater use period. Try to get a Nauticam housing second hand or even new all other housing do not work so well with wet lenses.
The newer cameras have a 24-70mm lens or even 24-100mm lens that are too short or too wide to use wet lenses some even need ports. Example are the Canon G7X, Panasonic LX100, Sony RX100 Mark III/IV
The video is still pretty good and unless you have a 4K Tv you won't see major differences with the mark IV.
I sold my Mark II housing and camera and I got now a Panasonic GX7 the pictures are the same in dynamic range but the lenses are sharper video wise it is the same of the Mark II. I have also a Mark IV but other than 4K video I am not planning to use it for picture due to to painful 24-70mm lens
I see you are a big fan of the rx series. What do u think about the custom white balance performance on it? (Pretty important for video use) I have no experience with it at all so I'm generally curious after reading very split opinions. I am actually looking into the lx100 right now, but need much more info on them all before I decide.
Custom white balance doesn't work. you use a filter in auto
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not a fan of filters at all. Too much light loss.
Guess the rx series is out of question then
Filter takes away one stop. You shoot at 1/50 or 1/60 in video and actually it is much more useful to have an ND filter when you have too much light. Compact wise there is nothing better
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I recently posted in a thread about the lx100, which is the camera I'm leaning towards. Altho I'm not sure about the af problem when using a dome (needed?) getting into manual focus and stuff seems like a big step up from previously just using gopros.