Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

The joy of Micro Four Thirds

Started by Draq ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

The joy of Micro Four Thirds

5 posts
  1. My primary reason for micro four thirds is illustrated in the photo. I don’t have to check the photo gear, so no worry about it getting stolen, smashed by baggage handlers or sent to the wrong destination and I rarely have to deal with any extra baggage fees. The EM5 is included as a size reference.

     

    With the exception of one small commuter plane on one occasion, the “international” sized rolling bag doesn’t get a second look on any normal commercial aircraft, even when they are hassling people with “normal” sized rolling bags. If an airline insisted on checking it, I would pull the 180 dome out and put it in the shoulder bag (yes, there is room).

     

    Here is what goes in the rolling bag:

     

    Nauticam EM1 housing with tray and handles

    180mm dome

    55mm N85-N120 adapter

    100mm dome

    flat port for 12-50 and 60mm micro

    2 Inon z240 strobes

    Focus light

    Zoom rings for 7-14, 12-40, 12-50

    Numerous small bits and pieces (O rings, flex ties, gaffer tape, batteries, etc.)

    There is still room for another small port or an adapter or extension, etc.

     

    In the shoulder bag (fits under seat):

     

    EM1

    7-14

    12-50 or 60mm micro or both

    12-40

    Canon S120 camera

    Gopro camera and housing

    Memory cards

    Dive computer

    Noise canceling headphones

    Kindle reader

    Laptop computer

    Miscellaneous small stuff for traveling (passport, tickets, candy bar, etc.)

     

    I put arms and clamps in my wife’s rolling bag, along with our regs and several other expensive, fragile or hard-to-replace items. If I had to, I could fit arms and clamps or the 180mm dome or the housing, tray and handles in the shoulder bag. When going somewhere where the rolling bag won’t be allowed due to tiny planes, I shift the housing or large dome to the shoulder bag and put the ports and strobes, focus light, etc., in a small pelican roller that can be carried aboard the long flights and checked on the small planes.

     

     

    post-9065-0-29447800-1457654994_thumb.jpg

  2. Impressive. Do you use pluck foam or just wrap stuff in clothing? Any chance you can take a pick of the inside of the carryon? My diving is primarily local, but I've going to Bonaire next month. As it's my first trip with my M-1 set-up, I've been thinking about this a lot. I'll check all my dive gear, but I'm not letting my camera stuff out of my sight.

  3. The roller bag is fully padded and has adjustable dividers in it. The trick with the shoulder bag was to buy a bag with the maximum dimensions for the "personal item" bag that is allowed, and then I put a padded camera bag insert into it, which left plenty of room for other stuff. I will try to get time to take a couple shots of the interior of the bags tomorrow.

  4. I will echo that.

     

    This is an em5 in Olympus housing, 60 and 9-18 lenses, two ufl-2s, video light, Chargers and batteries for everything including 16x aa batteries, an ultralight double arm tray setup, 5" and 8" arms for both strobes, including clamps, and a bit of other hardware. After this picture was taken I added a bunch of apple chargers and wires, a Kingston mobilite, and a bit of other stuff. The front of the pack has an iPad, kindle, ball cap, cards, passport, travel goodies, etc. it all fits in a large backpack (lowepro 500 aw). That is tough to beat for travel.

     

    Rick

    post-47104-0-14375500-1458336267_thumb.jpeg

    Edited by casts_by_fly
  5. The next limit for these setups isn't size but weight.

    I have several times taken all my OM-D E-M5 gear: Nauticam housing and associated ports/domes+ 60mm + 12-50mm + 9-18mm + 8mm fisheye + 2x Z240 + 2 dive computers + Nikon D3 + 24-70mm f/2.8 + mac book pro 15" + all chargers.

    Basically all my photo related gear except the arms and housing tray (which were checked-in) but the carry on bag weighted 16kg, not to the taste of all airlines!

     

     

    Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.