Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon Powershot G16 successor?

Started by GuidoW ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon Powershot G16 successor?

5 posts
  1. Hi folks,

    by the help of you guys here in this forum I bought a Canon Powershot G10 with underwater housing in 2008 or 2009. Since this time I used it continously on my snorkeling trips on four continents.

    Actually I like my G10 but time goes on and cameras improve. So I decided to buy a new one. I was thinking about the G16 successor last year. There were a lot of rumors about the G17 but finally Canon didn't bring to market so far. And, more rumors are telling Canon won't bring it to market in future. Dead segment, to costs intensive, to less demand or something like these topics. Don't know in detail.

    What I'd like most on the G17 (announcements) were two things: similar operation like my G10 combined with the new 1'' CCD sensor. Well, I don't use this camera for under water shootings only. Furthermore I use it out of water, liking its full manual mode and RAW shot option.

    So my question is: Can you recommend another more up to date camera replacing my G10? Of course availability of underwater housing is obligatory.

    Thanks for reading. Any hint or suggestion would be appreciated very much!

    Regards,

    Guido

  2. G7x.

     

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

  3. I was also using G10 as my second camera until this Jan, when the housing showed signs of possible leak. I decided to switch to G1x mark 2. The other cams I considered were Pana GH4 and Sony Rx100 III or IV. But the latter two require expensive Nauticam housings. With Canon, I can use the much cheaper Canon housing. The only down side I see is that the G1x II does not have 4K video. Haven't tried it under water yet, but happy with it so far as a carry along camera.

    I was also looking at G7x, but decided to go with G1x II under the assumption that bigger is better (sensor).

     

    Cheers

    Ajay.

  4. You will find that the G16 is the last of the line. But they can be had for sell off prices today. It depends on your budget.

  5. I have G16 love it but how be great if I had more WA Options I love macro that's my I got mine ysd1 x 2 if I had too by again I might head into the DSLR direction but big buck!!! For now I like wet lens unlike dslr dry lens the Sony RX seem great in my option

     

    Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.