Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Has anyone here built their own UW Tripod?

Started by SCUBA Hank ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Has anyone here built their own UW Tripod?

7 posts
  1. Hello All!

     

    I am trying to brainstorm some ideas for building my own UW tri-pod. I know using flexible lock-line probably makes the most sense for the legs but I am looking for options for the Tray without spending an arm and a leg on the pieces. This is something I will probably use very infrequently so hence my DIY desire...

     

    Any and all idea welcome!

     

    -Hank

  2. I went in the end for the XIT404 tripod setup - but I now see i-Das sell cheap extending ball arms and also this month INON have released their telescopic arms so if you want to DIY it, the only thing would be to add ball joints to the bottom to your housing and you have pre-made legs.

     

    The XIT404 stuff is nice, but if I'm honest I thick very expensive for what it is.

     

    The other option would be to go for a GorillaPod SLR bendy tripod, I had one, it worked for a while, but then the legs cracked (possibly due to needing to be properly soaked after each dive)

  3. Take a standard tripod and spare weights :D

  4. Find a baseplate for the housing, some fitting screws. Then find some different size aluminium and telescope it. Add some screws or spring loaded clips and/or drill holes in each

    Get some small balls(ball bearings fine) and attach to the legs.

    Voila

  5. Just use the cheapest possible sturdy-ish tripod you can find, attach diving lead as a center column weight. Or add diving weights to the end of each foot (mine had the option to remove the rubber and screw the pin into the lead). It worked fine, but obviously not when there are huge amount of currents (water is much denser than water as some of you might know :D).

  6. I've used a gorillapod slr version, works great underwater actually, atleast for macro videos=)

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.