bubffm,
Very nice.
What did you do for white balance, lighting and color correction in post?
Tom
Hi Tom,
thanks for your comment. I was trying out various modes and techniques as it was the first time using the AX100 underwater and I guess sometimes you can tell as the color balance isn't always perfectly matched.
I tried MWB on a few dives with a white lens cap and the results were ok although not really so much better than the AWB of the cam, so I ended up using AWB most of the time . I think the cam is performing pretty well here. I also played around with using the red filter and not using it. Pete suggests to use a Mangenta filterinstead of red with the AX100 as this gets rid of the slight greencast-tendency you have in less than perfect visibility. But Pete's findings came too late for me to still get hold of a mangenta filter in time for the trip. I got one now and will play with it on the next trip later in April.
I also played with "Normal" picture profile and what Sony calls "SoftHighkey" - a sort of Log2 that results in a more flat, 'overexposed' image. Some of the reef scenes in the beginning of my clip and the Wobbegong were filmed using this profile. This mode does not really work in auto-mode so you need to drive the cam manually and its hard to judge whether you got exposure right. But if you get it (sort of) right, it works really great for grading and correction in post. Many of the other Wobbegongs (we saw a lot of them!) that I filmed in "Normal" picture profile were not coming across that well.
As I could not really review my 4k footage on my Macbook Air that I carried with me and I was unsure how this "Softkey" stuff would turn out in grading, so to be on the safe side I recorded most on "normal" mode, which also results in great results in most situations. But next trip, I'll definitely play more with the flat profile now that a feel a bit more secure about it.
I had 2 FixNeo DX3000 video lights. I did not need their full power very often. The great thing is you can dim them in 1%-steps exactly to the level you want.
Color correction was done in FCPX, mostly exposure and saturation fine tuning and changing the green/blue balance. In the process I invested in the Color Finale plugin for FCPX from Denver Riddle which served me well in some of the trickier clips. Well worth the 99$ investment - I just still need to learn all the ins and outs this plugin offers.
I know I've taken a kind of "weirdo" route moving to a camcorder setup but so far I'm very happy with it. Added benefit: You can put a Flip-adapter for macro-diopters (I used the SAGA +5) straight on to the Gates wide angle Dome, so you can film Mantas and nudis on the same dive whithout having to find someone to carry your 1.5kg WWL-1 (or similar) when you want to film a goby....
Sorry, got a bit longish.
bubffm