Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

help in picking out u/w digital camera

Started by ToddDaniels ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

help in picking out u/w digital camera

3 posts
  1. help in picking out u/w digital camera

    I am trying to do some research in order to purchase a digital U/W camera and would like some advice and /or personal experiences on different cameras. Basically, right now I'm just looking for a point and shoot camera in the 4 megapixel range in the $400-700 price range. I've looked at the ReefMaster DC310 and also the Olympus 765 and would appreciate any feedback or suggestions on these or other cameras that might fit into what I'm looking for. Can anyone help?

     

    Todd

  2. I think you need to give a little more information. How much are you wanting to spend on a housing/lighting setup? A lot of people here go with the Olympus housings like for the 5050 underwater. You may want to do a search.

     

    Tony

  3. Todd....

    First of all, I am no expert !! I have spent a lot of time reading these forums to try and learn as much about U.W. digital as possible....probably the same as you.

    I am offering my experiences since I am in the been there done that mode regarding the Reefmaster camera.

    I used a Reefmaster DC250 and strobe for about 2 years. I was fairly pleased with this setup and was able to take some decent pictures. After looking at some of the amazing images on wetpixel and some other sites, I decided I wanted better pictures and recently upgraded to an Ikelite housed Oly 5060 and DS125 strobe. I have been amazed at the difference.

    I have not used the 310, but it probably does a better job than the older 250. The fixed focal length of the Reefmaster can be a problem, and the 'all or nothing' strobe had a tendency to wash out a lot of pictures. A higher quality camera with autofocus makes a big difference, not to mention the ability to control all the other camera functions while underwater as well as the strobe intensity.

    Starting out, the Reefmaster would probably serve your needs. However, if you develop a passion for underwater photography, you WILL want to upgrade. Every time you press the shutter, you learn a little bit more.

    David

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.