Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Post processing for silt and noise

Started by jreilly2120 ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Post processing for silt and noise

13 posts
  1. Anyone have any good lightroom / photoshop methods for post processing out silt and noise? I've been experimenting with some darker, siltier environments lately, and can't find a way to manage what silt does end up in the photo effectively.

  2. I always select the region with the noise and use the "remove dust and scratches" too soften the noise.

     

    fotosjop_zpsfgvemdop.jpg

  3. That actually looks like it works pretty well. I have been individually selecting the silt particles. I think I'll try that. Thanks!

  4. I always select the region with the noise and use the "remove dust and scratches" too soften the noise.

     

    fotosjop_zpsfgvemdop.jpg

    That's a Photoshop option, not a Lightroom option. I'd pay a good bit for a LR plugin that removes backscatter....
  5. You could pay 9.99 a month for PS & LR CC...and to be fair, the OP did specify LR & PS in the question.

  6. I

     

    You could pay 9.99 a month for PS & LR CC...and to be fair, the OP did specify LR & PS in the question.

    I'd like to avoid the learning curve of PS.

    I consider plug-ins as part of the LR/PS system, so to be clearer I'd like a plug-in for LR.

  7. The learning curve is not bad. Id just bite the bullet and do it now. Back on topic, I'm going to give this a shot this weekend. Silty test pictures incoming.

    Edited by jreilly2120
  8. JReilly

     

    Doug Sloss in his "Underwater Photoworkshop" DVD presented a nice Photoshop technique to remove a lot of backscatter from an image if you can afford to loose detail in the background. I don't know if it is still on his "Adobe Photoshop CS4 for the Underwater Photographer" DVD http://www.underwaterphotoshop.com/. Erin Quigley present a very similar (if not the same) technique at http://www.scubadiving.com/photoshop-tutorial-how-to-remove-backscatter-from-underwater-photos

  9. JReilly

     

    Doug Sloss in his "Underwater Photoworkshop" DVD presented a nice Photoshop technique to remove a lot of backscatter from an image if you can afford to loose detail in the background. I don't know if it is still on his "Adobe Photoshop CS4 for the Underwater Photographer" DVD http://www.underwaterphotoshop.com/. Erin Quigley present a very similar (if not the same) technique at http://www.scubadiving.com/photoshop-tutorial-how-to-remove-backscatter-from-underwater-photos

     

    I was told Quigley invented the technique, although in his article he says he got it from Eddie Tapp.

    Edited by tursiops
  10. I find the healing tool with content aware selected in photoshop is a great way of getting rid of individual spots and un-wanted particles. Even removing and replacing distracting background areas or objects! The clone/healing tool in LR is also extremely useful but a lot slower and less accurate i find personally.

  11. As a Lightroom plug in, you could install the Nik Collection from Google. The noise reduction plug in can help soften the Backscatter.

     

    I change from "automatic" to "manual" and then select a background area with Backscatter.

  12. Thanks! I think that's definitely worth a shot

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.