Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

inexpensive brand/diy Leak detector?

Started by crowey89 ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

inexpensive brand/diy Leak detector?

11 posts
  1. Please post!

  2. Here is a link to a custom made vacuum valve by Miso at Vivid housing. It cost 65 Euros. I have been using it with a small aneroid barometer to monitor vacuum inside the housing. I had to shave some material from the back of the barometer, to make it fit loosely against the housing wall. I made an inexpensive pump that works very well to apply vacuum.

     

    I have used this on system on two trips with good results. I had no problems rolling off the side of a Zodiac with my rig in hand.

     

    Albert Kok was going to test the use of a very small electronic mini altimeter. Maybe he will let us know how that worked out.

     

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/pointymccracken/8723696695/in/album-72157633459277984/

  3. I have the full Leak Sentinel and highly recommend it. The quality is first rate. The price has gone up a bit, but is probably still competitive with half way solutions by the time you get done messing around with pumps and electronics. After all, what's the value of the equipment you are protecting? Here's the correct link:

     

    http://www.vividhousings.com/leak-sentinel.php

  4. I remember some where I saw the fantasea leak detector was $35, You need to call to order it.

     

    Telephone : +(1) 989 785 0540

  5. Thanks guys.

    How about diy? Doesn't need to be vacuum..just leak sensor..

    P.s. I'm using nexus housing.

    Cheers

  6. I built a leak detector years ago using four parts - a battery, a resistor, a HEXFET, and a piezo buzzer. I don't know how to enter a schematic so I'll describe it. The HEXFET has three leads, source, drain, and gate. The drain is connected to the piezo buzzer. The other lead of the piezo buzzer is connected to the + terminal of the battery. The HEXFET source is connected to the - lead of the battery. The resistor, which is a high value, maybe 100K or 1 Meg, is connected between the source and gate.

     

    The detector is two wires near each other. One is connected to the gate of the HEXFET and the other is connected to the + lead of the battery. I built it on a piece of perfboard and used a couple gold plated pins for the detector. Most of the parts were from my junkbox, nothing is critical.

     

    I tested it by touching a damp finger to the detector wires, and the buzzer did sound. I never had it activate in water as the housing never flooded.

  7. Roberts Camera is selling a new old stock Aquatic 18774 leak detector on eBay. Unless you have parts lying around you probably can't build one for what they are asking.

  8. I remember some where I saw the fantasea leak detector was $35, You need to call to order it.

     

    Telephone : +(1) 989 785 0540

    I bought a replacement sensor from fantasea at Beneath the Sea Show for $25

  9. I got one from uwleakdetector..seems OK..inexpensive..thanks!

  10. If you can get a broken Meikon housing ..many of them come with the detector in place, if it's physically broken (But did not flood) you might be able to get your hands on a spare part :)

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.