I use a 1510 for my Olympus E-M1, Nauticam housing, strobes, ports etc, and carry everything on with me. While it is HEAVY, I can fit virtually everything except the camera and lenses, which I put in a small backpack that I carry on as well. I like knowing that my hands are on ALL of my photography equipment at all times. So far, I have not traveled to locations where my carry on luggage is weighed (which seems incredibly unfair to me, as I only weigh 160# and should be able to carry on more than some of my fellow passengers!
).
The 1510 fits virtually all US airline requirements for overhead bin space. It nice having the confidence that comes along with that knowledge when a pushy gate agents tries to strongarm you into checking the case.
Does anyone place their camera inside their housing for transport? I read several articles (and I believe Martin Edge agrees in his book) that recommend against this. It seems to me that it is a bunch of wasted space that is (obviously) a perfect fit for the camera. If latched into the housing properly, what harm could really come of this? I make sure to travel without my O-rings in place, so a vacuum could not be generated inside of the housing.
Would be curious to hear how many of you travel with the camera inside the housing vs outside?
David