Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Single Dome for Oly 8mm/1.8 & Pany 12-35mm/2.8 on GH4?

Started by LocoMotion ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Single Dome for Oly 8mm/1.8 & Pany 12-35mm/2.8 on GH4?

8 posts
  1. New Member Disclaimer: If there is a better place to ask this question, please let me know!

     

    I currently own a GH4 along with the Olympus 8mm/1.8 Fisheye Pro and Panasonic 12-35mm/2.8. I'm interested in building a video rig around a Nauticam housing.

     

    I'm more interested in using the 8mm (CFWA, reef-scapes and over/under), but would like to have the option to use the 12-35mm as well.

     

    According to Zen, the DP170 accommodates both lenses. Can anyone tell me how these lenses would behave in the 170mm dome? Is there a better dome option that covers both lenses, or will I need two different dome/ring configurations?

     

    Also, does the crop in 4K mode on the GH4 change the decision-making process at all?

    Edited by LocoMotion
  2. There is a 1.2x crop and the 12-35mm becomes far too narrow.

    There are not many adopters of the 8mm, previously the 7-14mm was a favourite choice for wide angle however since the Nauticam has produced the WWL-1 there are people that choose the 14-42 Panasonic Mega OIS II or the 14-42 power zoom to use with wet lenses.

    Also the Inon UWL-100 and UWL-H100 are compatible with the 14-42mm zoom lenses

  3. Thanks. So take the 12-35mm out of the equation, and note that I'm not selling the 8mm due to needing it elsewhere. What's the preferred dome for 4K on the 8mm? I might eventually get there, but adding a 14-42+wet lens+adapters is a more expensive route.

  4. The 4.33" minidome works fine. You can get also a glass 100mm as the corners are cropped the only possible benefit in 4K is the antireflective coating

  5. Thanks for the guidance!

  6. I use the set your talking about, with the zen Dome, and, it works as i wanted, even in 4k mode

    I apreciate particulary the fact that for travel, I can use the panasonic 7-14, the 12-35 and the Oly 8 mm , one dome, 3 lens !

    Edited by Flo
  7. Sorry I didnt see you have the olympus 8" and not the panasonic. You would need an extension ring for this lens. I would not loose my sleep on the 12-35mm. I think you need another rectilinear lens to complete the set up. You can get the zen dome that fits both the two nauticam ports when added cost as much as the zen take a bit more space but they are ligther

  8. yes, you need an extension ring to use the panasonics lens ;) with the zen dome

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.