Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Recommended Photo Editor for Older Windows XP on Notepad

Started by DS256 ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Recommended Photo Editor for Older Windows XP on Notepad

3 posts
  1. Yes, I know this is an old machine but it serves me well as a backup device when travelling. Can't afford a better laptop so am looking to optimize what I have.

     

    It's a Dell Inspirion 1011 Notebook with an Intel Atom 1.9Ghz CPU and 1 GB of memory. Screen resolution is only 1024x600 which is too small for Vivid-Pix

     

    I use a Oympus E-PM1 and take pictures in both RAW and JPEG. I've also started taking videos.

     

    I found the Olympus Viewers (need V2 for my camera's video) too much for my laptop.

     

    I've installed Nikon's ViewNX which has a smaller footprint than the Olympus viewer and can process JPG and works well enough. This is what I'm currently using.

     

    I would like to get something that would process RAW but with the limited compute resources realize that this is not likely.

     

    Is there a good web based cloud service that I could upload my files to for processing off my computer?

     

    Looking for any suggestions.

     

    Thanks

  2. try faststone.org

  3. Thanks Wolf Eel. I checked out Faststone and it seems to be useful but does not have a white balance eye drop control that I wanted.

     

    In the end, I went back and revisited the Olympus 3 Viewer. They seem to have improved it by showing a lower resolution picture with an option to see the high resolution. OV3 has a white balance eye drop control for grey which I'll be able to use with my card. It will also Export in TIFF.

     

    I also found Gimp which has a healing tool, stamper and other Photoshop like tools that I can apply to the TIFF.

     

    So, I'm able to get some more life out of note book that I only use once or twice a year on dive trips.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.