Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Ideas why NOS YS-90DX Strobe flooded?

Started by banjobees ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Ideas why NOS YS-90DX Strobe flooded?

3 posts
  1. I bought a YS-90DX strobe which I think was NOS: everything in plastic bags, closed with little pieces of colored tape (strobe, synch cord, instructions, diffuser, spare o-ring, tool, and lube).

    I tested it on land with a dual-strobe setup and TTL converter-N and it worked fine.

     

    On first dive last week (80 minutes, max depth 35ft), it was slow to charge and fired erratically. I thought it was probably due to weak batteries which I changed. Second dive, yesterday, similar profile to last week, it charged right up. After the first photo, the strobe didn't fire. And in addition to the "ready" light on the off-on-TTL switch coming on, the light on the 'slave' which illuminated and stayed lit regardless of the switch position.

     

    After the dive, I noticed some tiny droplets of water on the inside the front of the flash housing. At home, I washed, dried and carefully disconnected the strobe.

    The inside of the synch cord connection and the battery compartment were clean and dry. So somehow the sealed unit flooded: I decided to disassemble it. I took apart the 2 big body parts and saw that there was a lot of corrosion on the circuit board. About a half teaspoon of water was inside. I decided to further disassemble since the electronics looked ruined. So I dissected the ports to the outside to see if I could find anything obvious.

    The 3 BLUE o-rings (large for 2 body parts, medium for synch cord bulkhead, and tiny for manual stepped power switch) all seemed OK. Two small BLACK o-rings ( for the on-off switches for 'power' and 'slave') seemed OK.

    The 3rd thinner black o-ring for sealing the black TTL-Slave Sensor port on the front lens had a two pieces of tiny fiber crossing it (see photos) and there was a slurry of watery lube at this site.

     

    Do you think it could have flooded because it hadn't been used in so long? (Faulty o-ring sealing because of age?)

    Could such tiny pieces of fiber caused a leak of ~ half-teaspoon of water?

    Other ideas?

     

    Thanks!

    David

     

    post-47291-0-15449100-1460167216_thumb.jpg

    post-47291-0-69757600-1460167264_thumb.jpg

    post-47291-0-25286700-1460167282_thumb.jpg

  2. yes 35 foot = 15psi that could have forced the water past the o-ring

  3. Interesting, Bill! I don't think I contaminated it while taking it apart, so it might have been an assembly error (only way to remove that piece is with the strobe unassembled, so it must have been put together that way.)

    That would also fit with the strobe never having been used until now - since it would have flooded when first used.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.