Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Anyone know this worm (?) from Anilao

Started by troporobo ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Anyone know this worm (?) from Anilao

3 posts
  1. Spotted this on the weekend, about 6 cm long at maybe 10m depth, but there was a fair amount of current and I didn't have time to get a good shot. Nevertheless, I've never seen one before and wonder if anyone knows?

     

    26330282266_d65c92f3ac_c.jpg

    Edited by troporobo
  2. Hi,

    This looks very similar to a solengastre I photographed in the waters off Grand Cayman, BWI initially 5 years ago. It created a stir among experts at the time, as Know one had seen the likes of this particular one before. Photographed at nearly the same depth, I photographed another, or the same, in the same area last year. The difference between the two appears to be that some of the white areas on mine are raised into tiny ping pong ball extensions.

     

    I understand that experts are eager to have a specimen collected. Unfortunately, in order for me to do so, a special permit would be required, and there is no telling if I'd ever find one again.

     

    Sweet find!!

     

    Cindy

     


    post-6923-0-79183600-1460376299_thumb.jpg

  3. Very interesting! it seems likely to be a mollusc which I would not have guessed. Thanks for this lead.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.