Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

New Consumer Cam Setup

Started by eshvk ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

New Consumer Cam Setup

3 posts
  1. All,

    I am a new Diver (~50 dives) wanting to get into UW photography. I have my own SLR (D7000) and a Consumer Cam (Fuji X100S) that I have been using on land for a few years. I am looking to buy a new setup to do underwater photography and would love some advice:

    Based on my research, it looks like it will be outrageously expensive for me to get housing + lenses for the SLR. I can't find any housing for the X100S.

    So this brings me down to buying a compact. Looking at this, my choices appear to be around Sony RX100.

    I am pretty new to Wet Lenses and I was wondering if someone could comment on what I would gain by getting the MK4 vs the MK3 or even the MK2.

    Note that I am optimizing purely for photography. I will probably get a GoPro in a year or so for 4K video so the MK4's Video capability is not that interesting. However, since this is a huge investment, I'd like to make sure I get as photography bang as possible, especially for the UW use case.

    However, I read a thread on this forum saying that the MK2 would be superior to the MK3 or MK4 because one would require a port for wet lenses (I don't quite completely understand that but I am still investigating)

    I am also open to other cameras, preferably fixed lens.

    Cheers

    E

  2. E, I got a Sony RX-100 m2 from Walmart refurb, put in in a discounted Ikelite housing and have been very happy with it. Since housing has a 67mm ring, it will take several wet lenses. I had an Inon-100 type 2 "flat fisheye" which screwed right on it.

     

    Check out Interceptor 121 website for much good advice, he suggests an M2:

     

    https://interceptor121.com/

  3. Awesome, thanks bought the first part of the rig: a refurb RX100 M2. Now time to find a housing. Do you happen to know what apart from wetpixel is a good place to find discounted housings? I am sort of leaning towards a Nauticam. BUT it is like 2X the price of the cam so I'd be buying it purely for the usability factor, I think.

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.