Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Olympus TG-4?

Started by folivier1 ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Olympus TG-4?

7 posts
  1. Tried searching but didn't find anything.

    Just got the ok from ENT doc and plan to start diving again. Have a trip to Marathon, FL keys for month of September.

    Last camera system was a 5D2 with Subal housing. Would like to get back into UW photography but thinking of a compact system. I have an Olympus OMD EM-1 but not planning to house that one.

    Is anyone using a TG-4?

    Not interested in video, only photos both macro and some wide angle. Most of our dives are less than 50' so I might pick one up and use it without the housing for snorkeling and shallow dives. Maybe get a housing and strobe later.

    What about using a video light for macro shots?

    Thanks.

  2. It's an amazing camera for the price and takes really good maco shots, and semi closeup shots < 6'. The wide angle is ok; but not it's strong point. You can get amazing macro photos with very little effort. That said, I do use a strong flash YS-D1 and light Fix Neo 2000 DX SWR to assist. I would recommend you get the housing first; it's worth it. I don't trust the camera to great depths; but that said even if it floods it's not like it was expensive compared to the rest of the uw camera world.

    Edited by insomniac
  3. Get a housing for the EM1, as an interchangeable camera you have much greater flexibility and it's still small and light weight. There are plenty of housings to choose from really cheap Meikon to much more more durable and expensive choices such as Nauticam, Aquatica etc.

    As you have the EM1 and used full frame too you will soon out grow and feel restricted by the TG4.

  4. Still considering the TG-4 but also researching the Sony RX-100 and Canon GX-7 (or earlier versions of either), also considering the Olympus Pen E-PL7 or 5. Really don't want to house my EM1 unless I can find a killer deal on a used aluminum housing.

    If I buy one the Sony or Canon I'll be looking for a used setup. Any suggestions on these or any others?

    If anyone is thinking of selling their rigs please let me know.

  5. The Olympus housing for the EM1 is AU$999 US$770 at ryda.com.au and Inon and AOI do cheap ports to fit.

  6. Another thing I'd like to have is the ability to use wet lenses. I would like to change from macro to wide underwater. Yes, I know, after years of using dslr underwater and choosing either macro or wide before the dive I want to simplify things. Not looking for the best images. Just wanting to have fun and have a do it all system that won't cost a fortune and be able to take macro and wide using wet lenses.

    Also want it to be small and light weight for traveling.

  7. Decided on the Sony RX100 2. Lucky enough to find used Nauticam housing, wide angle and macro wet lens, and a YS-01 strobe. I've never had much luck with ttl throughout the years so I'll just stick with manual for now. This should make a nice rig for diving and snorkeling. Thought about housing my EM1 but just didn't want to travel with that big and heavy rig.

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.