Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Thoughts on the RX100 IV?

Started by DarktidePhoto ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Thoughts on the RX100 IV?

3 posts
  1. First Post on here so want to say Hi to everyone and glad to finally sign up on the site after reading so much over the last year and taking part, New to Underwater Photography but not photography. I shoot action sports photography professional but underwater and wildlife is a passion for me and has been since a little kid.

     

    Last December I bought a SPL Water Housing for 5D Mark III for some surf work but of course used it more for shallow water here in San Diego to get some shots of the local wildlife but have found problems like the lack of controls and not able to go deeper then the recommenced 15 or feet. I love the image out of the camera but not being able to change settings and full control really was hard when it came to snorkeling. After doing some research online I noticed that the RX100 IV was a nice small camera that wasn't going to cost me an arm and a leg to get in the water while being small and easy to use so I bought it and it came out with Ikelite Housing (used) to be less then just the 5D mark III Ikelite housing I was looking at. Now I havent gotten it just yet but I was wondering if I made a good choice? I know its not going to be 5D3 level of image but I see alot of people raving about the camera for everyday things saying it gets close to DSLR images and on the level of mirrorless cameras but how does it do underwater in terms of RAW images and video? Did I make the right choice or should I just do my self a favor and return it and get the 5D3 setup.

     

    I plan on shooting all sorts of wildlife as I do some traveling this year for photography work. Shallow water shooting like in La Jolla will take up most of my shooting though I will be going to Mexico at the end of the year for a race.

  2. I would house the 5Dmk3 in an aluminum housing with a vacuum valve and mount the RX100 on top for video. Best of both.

  3. Not possibale right now, need to keep the budget down just a bit. Its one way or the other, though I really like the idea of the RX100 and the Nauticam WWL-1 Dome Wide Angle for my work.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.