Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Removing handles from tray?

Started by folivier1 ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Removing handles from tray?

10 posts
  1. Just bought a used tray and wanted to move the handles to a position better for my hands. Of course the stainless bolts are frozen to the aluminum tray. Not unusual and what I kinda expected but what tips can I use to remove them without breaking the bolts?

    I thought about putting it in boiling water then spraying with PB blaster, or putting in an oven about 200-250 F then spraying with PB.

    Any other suggestions before my wife runs me out of the kitchen?

  2. White vinegar? I'm a big fan - apart from as a salad dressing.

     

    And WD40. (Also not advisable on salads)

  3. Try DeoxIt gold, put a few drops, let is soak overnight, then a few more drops, place drops so gravity helps it penetrate, repeat until you can break the bolt free.

    When reassembling, use Tef-Gel, it will prevent dis-similar metals from bonding in salt water

     

    Elmer

  4. I've used deoxit for years on electronic parts but never on frozen bolts. I'll try it tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

  5. Sometime it's a combination of a few things and a few Rounds of it... The effort can be great.. And maybe fruitless... Keep trying if its your aim to save a money

  6. Deoxit worked! Yesterday I heated up the bolt and sprayed with PB blaster and had no luck. Just now sprayed with Deoxit and it came right off. Interestingly the handles were full of saltwater.

    I have Tefgel on order and will reassemble using that.

  7. Glad to hear that DeoxIt worked.

    Be liberal with Tef Gel so that all the dis-similar metal to metal surfaces are coated.

  8. Definitely, bought the 2 ounce tub so I'll have plenty. The threads on the aluminum pieces are bare with some corrosion so they'll need plenty of protection. But I plan to disassemble the tray after diving.

    I was surprised by the fizzing action of the Deoxit (plain variety, not gold). It evidently worked its way down into the threads better than PB blaster.

  9. soaking in white vinegar or highly acidic toilet cleaner has been fairly successful for me in the past. Even on completely seized aluminium outboard engine mounts that had become completely encased in thick oxidisation.

  10. Hi, as your handles still had seawater in them, it might be advisable to drill a small hole top and bottom of each handle so it drains, and can be rinsed out..

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.