Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Noisy 5Dmkiii?

Started by Chasin' Tales ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Noisy 5Dmkiii?

3 posts
  1. Having mostly shot macro in the past, I finally got a chance to shoot with my wide angle setup. The rig: 5dmkiii in an Ikelite housing w/ 8" acrylic dome; 24mm f2.8 lens w/ IS off. We kayaked to some springs that had some exceptionally clear water. With full midday Florida sun, I was shooting only with natural light. I started at ISO 400...according to the light meter, the images were properly exposed but the histogram was a bit more to the left so I switched to ISO 800. Here's an example image unprocessed showing the histogram:

    Capture_zpslbi66wdr.jpg

     

    After processing the image, I noticed what I considered to be excessive noise in the background. Here's the processed image:

    992B1884_zpskseqfzxg.jpg

     

    And a blow up of the noisy background:

    992B1884-2_zpsokchz2ei.jpg

     

    Is this amount of noise excessive? It seems like I see a lot of pics of large marine life shot in similar conditions and the images don't have this much noise. Am I wrong? Is this normal?

     

    With some residual discontent from the images shot at the spring, I thought a dip in the pool would be a good opportunity for a more controlled test. Here's the test image with only the white balance adjusted:

    Capture2_zpscjnzl0qp.jpg

     

    At ISO 400 and a reasonably exposed image I would expect little to no noise. However, when I zoomed in on the ladder (focal point for the image), I was surprised to see quite a bit of noise:

    Capture3_zps68lkocpy.jpg

     

    What do y'all think...is this too much noise?

  2. Hey Chasin' Tales, were you shooting camera raw? I usually try to stay in the ISO 200 range, but the MKIII should be able to handle ISO 400.

  3. Is that a 1:1 crop? Your pool shot looks more noisy that my 5DII at 400 (my normal ISO setting). Is it in focus? Correct dome extension?

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.