Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Issues synching my DS-161 strobe

Started by giulia ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Issues synching my DS-161 strobe

3 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I just got a Nikon d7100 with an Ikelite housing and a ds-160 strobe. So a newbie and might well be missing something obvious!

     

    I can't get the strobe to synch. In TTL, the strobe fires but not when the shutter is open so I get lots of dark pictures. In manual, every 5 strobe flashes and ~40-50 shots the two coincide and I get a lit picture.

     

    Is it the synch cord that is not working properly or do I need to set my camera to some special settings?

     

    Thanks!

     

    Giulia

    Edited by giulia
  2. For the ikelite system, it is important that both the strobe and the housing switch are in manual mode ! (or both in TTL mode)

     

    If you leave the housing as is and simply put the strobe in manual, I get black images as well.

     

    Also, check the position of the little switch underneath the camera tray (should be on the DS125 / 160 / 161 position)

     

    if both TTL and manual give problems, it might be the cord.

     

    http://www.ikelite.com/support/faq/cords.html

    Edited by Cerianthus
  3. Thanks, it gives issues on both manual and TTL. I think there is a loose connection somewhere as I consistently get black images when both strobe and housing are set to either. I usually shoot with my camera on manual mode.

     

    I think you are right it is probably the chord - hoping it is not actually the connectors.

     

    Thanks!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.