Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

WB adjustment while shooting or shoot raw and adjust WB later.

Started by Timz ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

WB adjustment while shooting or shoot raw and adjust WB later.

13 posts
  1. Hi everyone. I just want to ask as the tittle.

     

    Do you guys prefer to shoot RAW and adjust the WB during the Post processing or Adjust the WB while shooting itself.

     

    Or maybe Shoot RAW with the WB adjust while shooting..?

     

    I know light is the most important element in any type of shooting...

     

    But i want to know more about the advantage and disadvantage of both.

     

    Most of my pictures now are shot auto WB and JPEG with additional one or 2 ARCHON D11V torch lights.

     

     

    Below are some examples of my pictures.

     

    d0def76a793f00fedc5fef87c00e9cad.jpg

     

    b905258b49847d7d57d53d3795c18dd0.jpg

     

    425c34499d6af3e16606c74a79ac4153.jpg

     

    1730e1d47925761c23a8ca9842f90827.jpg

     

    9be0f329127509f3545599c1440c37b9.jpg

     

    b35417e4a449e270f7b1e3ddc20a4956.jpg

     

    bc20589b2de1df670894cff0a3f9159c.jpg

     

    14c60ea72f217ce07cd5b5fd19ea2d21.jpg

     

    ab7bc47d56357e3bf2d67b715f9b4bdd.jpg

     

    All the picture above was taken directly as JPEG without any post processing done nor WB adjustment.

     

    Picture taken with

     

    Olympus E-PL3 with Archon d11v torch(es).

     

    Let say, it the light could not reach the subject like below...

     

    69974e180407fb68252528d4e38a7869.jpg

     

    Do you recommend to take in

     

    -RAW and adjust the WB later

    -RAW with WB adjusted while shooting

    -Or JPEG with WB adjusted while shooting?

     

    Is there any difference between the first and second??

     

    Thanks for your input.

     

    Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

    Edited by Timz
  2. Hi Timz

     

    I've shot (Nikon) RAW underwater for many years and always with Auto WB. Adjusting the WB subsequently in Lightroom is probably the adjustment I make least. My experience is that the combination is almost always spot on.

     

    I dont know enough about the characteristics of your setup to advise on the differences you list, but, based on my own experiences, I'd give RAW/AutoWB a try.

  3. Hi Timz

     

    I've shot (Nikon) RAW underwater for many years and always with Auto WB. Adjusting the WB subsequently in Lightroom is probably the adjustment I make least. My experience is that the combination is almost always spot on.

     

    I dont know enough about the characteristics of your setup to advise on the differences you list, but, based on my own experiences, I'd give RAW/AutoWB a try.

    Thanks TimG.

     

    Appreciate your input. All thr images taken above was shot with an Olympus E-PL3(2011) that I loaned from a friend. But I kinda like the size of the system and I just got myself an E-PL6 which I think launched in 2014.

     

    And currently loaded with an 8GB wifi card that comes with it.

     

    So, space is kinda limited.

     

    Thanks again for your input.

     

    Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

  4. FWIW, I've always been told to shoot auto WB and if you are using strobes, it seems to be taken care of.

     

    The problem is when the strobes will not cover the shot. Then you either need to manually set the WB with a color card or leave it in auto and correct in post.

     

    The big challenge I find is the column of water that the light has to travel. This is not only what depth, but the length of the reflect light to your camera. Makes trying to set WB a challenge.

     

    Many times, I can find a 'white' reference point in the shot to bring the non-strobed picture back.

  5. FWIW, I've always been told to shoot auto WB and if you are using strobes, it seems to be taken care of.

     

    The problem is when the strobes will not cover the shot. Then you either need to manually set the WB with a color card or leave it in auto and correct in post.

     

    The big challenge I find is the column of water that the light has to travel. This is not only what depth, but the length of the reflect light to your camera. Makes trying to set WB a challenge.

     

    Many times, I can find a 'white' reference point in the shot to bring the non-strobed picture back.

    Thanks. I am not so much into strobe for the time being. Maybe i'll get myself a strong torch.

     

    Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

  6. Two good strobes and some decent strobe arms, make a huge difference in macro and night photos. The key being to learn how to position your strobes for various shots / effects.

     

    For WA, they are less critical since the WA lens / dome gather so much more light.

     

     

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  7. Two good strobes and some decent strobe arms, make a huge difference in macro and night photos. The key being to learn how to position your strobes for various shots / effects.

     

    For WA, they are less critical since the WA lens / dome gather so much more light.

     

     

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

    Thanks buddy. But for the time being, i will try shooting macro with my torches.

     

    I'm using an Olympus E-PL 6, which the housing takes 12-50mm lens. So, the widest I'll be taking for the time being will be just 12mm(equiv to 24mm in 35mm format)

     

    Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

  8. I shoot an EMD-OM5, and love using the 12-50 mm lens as well. I also tried using my Sola 1200 S/F lights for still photo. Didn't work nearly as well as some basic strobes. Even my first Intova slave strobes gave me better color etc. I bought my current 2 strobes off eBay for less money than a single dive light costs.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. I shoot an EMD-OM5, and love using the 12-50 mm lens as well. I also tried using my Sola 1200 S/F lights for still photo. Didn't work nearly as well as some basic strobes. Even my first Intova slave strobes gave me better color etc. I bought my current 2 strobes off eBay for less money than a single dive light costs.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Did u mean the Intova Px21??

     

    Are you able to use the macro mode on the 12-50mm??

     

    Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

  10. Yes, I use the 12-50 mm macro (43mm), and the predecessor version of the Px21, the ISS4000, cheap and pretty reliable / easy to use as a first strobe:

     

    http://digitaldiver.com.au/shop/product/int-iss4000

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. Yes, I use the 12-50 mm macro (43mm), and the predecessor version of the Px21, the ISS4000, cheap and pretty reliable / easy to use as a first strobe:

     

    http://digitaldiver.com.au/shop/product/int-iss4000

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Ohhhm.. I think the PX21 and rhe ISS4000 are different range strobe. The PX21 GN is only 10.

     

    And sadly, I couldn't find the ISS4000 on their website. So, I assume it's discontinued.

     

    Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

  12. Yes, I believe that the ISS4000 strobes are discontinued. I sold mine on eBay a while ago. I use Sea & Sea YS-110a strobes currently that I bought off eBay pretty cheap.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. Thx

     

    Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.