Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

OMD-EM-1 flash (FL-LM2) no longer works?

Started by kstokell ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

OMD-EM-1 flash (FL-LM2) no longer works?

10 posts
  1. Has anyone had problems with their "FL-LM2" Olympus flash.

     

    I got my camera and flash brand new about four weeks ago and it worked perfectly in triggering my two YS-D2 strobes until today. In the middle of the first dive both strobes ceased to work, on inspection later I found that the little Olympus external strobe was no longer flashing. The camera recognizes that the flash is attached and flipped up, and I've tried both the "fill" and "manual" modes but no flash! I've tried removing and refitting the flash unit but still no joy.

     

    The problem is I don't know if the flash is at fault or the camera, and as I live in Aruba with no Olympus dealer I'm unable to test it, has anyone had similar problems and if so what was the cause?

     

    By the way there was no flooding of the housing or anything like that and the battery was fully charged!

     

    Thanks,

    Kevin

  2. Wish I could help you. Mine has worked reliably for about 4 years now. Can you borrow another flash to make sure the hot shoe is working correctly? Try cleaning the contacts?

  3. Contact Olympus through MyOlympus. They will be able to assist. I have listed all my equipment with them and have already used them the sort a faulty lens, so it worth at least an inquiry with them.

  4. Check you haven't put the shutter into Silent (electronic) mode as the flash won't work in electronic shutter mode.

    The EM1's menus are a bit complex and changing a setting by accident in the super control screen is easy done.

    Edited by Griff
  5. Make sure shutter is not in electronic silent mode here.

    post-50926-0-44538500-1463883136_thumb.jpeg

  6. Thanks for the tip Griff but that was not the problem.

     

    I've ordered a new flash unit from the US so hopefully it will be in Aruba in a few weeks, hopefully that will fix the problem if not the camera will have to be returned to the US for repair.

     

    It's a bummer but that is one of the downsides of living on a Caribbean island :( !

     

    I suppose I'll have to spend the next few weeks shooting "super macro" with the video light, at least I'll get the chance to play around with the "focus bracketing" feature :P !

  7. Problem SOLVED !!!!!

     

    I received the new FL-LM2 I ordered from the US and fortunately it has solved the problem!

     

    Of course it cost me an "arm and a leg" what with shipping import duty and customs paperwork, but at the end of the day I've only been without my strobes for two weeks :-)!

     

    Now to see if I can get a warranty replacement from Olympus which I can use as a spare without it costing me too much!

  8. This flash is very suspect to random failures. On a recent Indonesia trip three separate flashes in different rigs all failed. I buy them on eBay and always carry a few spares.

    Bill

  9. I also carry a spare FL-LM2 flash. Haven't needed it yet, but I've no doubt I will. Not so expensive if you buy it from an Olympus dealer over the counter.

  10. ....I am on dive vacation and have the same problem. But no spare unit here and I am quitw frustrated. I guess I need to shoot with lamp this vacation (its my yearly dive trip). I am quite disappointed with Olympus at this point of time.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.