Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Diving the Salish Sea

Started by stphnmartin ·

  • 19Posts
  • 19Replies

Read-only discussion

Diving the Salish Sea

19 posts
  1. Here's some footage from winter diving in the Salish Sea. 3 minutes of cold, green water muck diving with beautiful marine life large and small. If you've never seen a pacific spiny lumpsucker, take a look.

     

    Comments and critiques welcome.

     

  2. WOW!!!!! The quality on this amazing!! Great, great work

  3. WOW!!!!! The quality on this amazing!! Great, great work

     

    Thanks Triggerfish, really appreciate it.

  4. Really good job! I like it.

     

    Thanks for sharing.

  5. Superb macro overall, especially the nudis. I really liked the pipefish shot also. Do you know what the eggs are at 1:02?

     

    I learned to dive in Puget Sound many years ago, but have now spent decades diving in the tropics, so don't think I could do this anymore!

  6. I agree with the others, really nice work. Something to aspire to. I also liked the "bonus material" after the credits of the team getting suited up, that was a nice touch.

  7. Superb macro overall, especially the nudis. I really liked the pipefish shot also. Do you know what the eggs are at 1:02?

     

    I learned to dive in Puget Sound many years ago, but have now spent decades diving in the tropics, so don't think I could do this anymore!

     

    I believe the eggs are painted greenling eggs. I didn't get to visit them again later in development.

     

    Yes, cold water diving is gear intensive, the viz not so great and not nearly and comfortable as diving in the tropics! I'm envious of your decades of diving in warm water though!

  8. I agree with the others, really nice work. Something to aspire to. I also liked the "bonus material" after the credits of the team getting suited up, that was a nice touch.

     

    Thanks very much. Looks like we use the same video housing. Although I'm on an older sony camera and have the standard housing, not the pro version.

  9. Very nice. Haven't seen a lumpsucker. Cool critter. Was the octopus being eaten alive by those crabs?

  10. Very nice. Haven't seen a lumpsucker. Cool critter. Was the octopus being eaten alive by those crabs?

     

    Thanks Nick. The octopus was already deceased. It did seem like a young octopus though.

    Edited by stphnmartin
  11. Terrific stuff. The shots of the crabs eating the octopus are amazing - as are the eyes on the seal.

     

    Great work, Stephen.

  12.  

    Thanks very much. Looks like we use the same video housing. Although I'm on an older sony camera and have the standard housing, not the pro version.

     

    Yes, I have been using Light and Motion housings for a while now. This is my first Canon, though, having switched over after having too much trouble color correcting my Sony HC-9. Backscatter suggested going with the Canon over the Sony when I was upgrading. It looks as if you have been able to get your CX550 to work very well, though.

  13.  

    Yes, I have been using Light and Motion housings for a while now. This is my first Canon, though, having switched over after having too much trouble color correcting my Sony HC-9. Backscatter suggested going with the Canon over the Sony when I was upgrading. It looks as if you have been able to get your CX550 to work very well, though.

     

    Does the pro version have 2 internal flip levers for the color filter and macro diopter? I searched for a pro version for sony, but couldn't find one and wanted that feature.

     

    What I've found really helps the color is manually setting the white balance with a grey slate. The housing allows you to do this with one button press if you set it up.

  14.  

    Does the pro version have 2 internal flip levers for the color filter and macro diopter? I searched for a pro version for sony, but couldn't find one and wanted that feature.

     

    What I've found really helps the color is manually setting the white balance with a grey slate. The housing allows you to do this with one button press if you set it up.

     

    As I recall, there is only one internal flip lever - I use a color filter on that one, and use a SAGA flip adapter for my external wet lens (Subsea diopter for macro).

     

    Yes, I also do manual WB, both with my current Canon camcorder, and previously with my old Sony. The Sony always ended up with a greenish cast that I just couldn't seem to get rid of, even with post-processing, so I was never really happy with the color from that camera. I still need to do some color correction with the Canon, but the final version is more pleasing to me. Thanks for the help, though.

  15. Terrific stuff. The shots of the crabs eating the octopus are amazing - as are the eyes on the seal.

     

    Great work, Stephen.

     

    Thanks so much Tim. It's funny how those crabs had the entire octopus but decided for fight over that one tentacle. There's probably a lesson there. ;^)

  16. Very nice. Great results from this compact camcorder

  17. Very nice. Great results from this compact camcorder

    Thanks for watching bubffm!

  18. GREAT JOB!!!!!! Amazing macros!!!!

  19. GREAT JOB!!!!!! Amazing macros!!!!

     

    Appreciate your comments Etc.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.