Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Compact Flash Cards and Coolpix 5000

Started by tx51210 ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Compact Flash Cards and Coolpix 5000

7 posts
  1. Just got a Coolpix 5000 and was researching the larger compact flash cards. The Nikon book does not list anything larger than 10x 160mg in their book. Might be due to the larger cards being newer.

     

    Anyone using larger compact flash cards (256mg and up) that are listed as faster ie: 16x.

     

    The industry seems all over the map on standards and it is rapidly changing. I just don't want to get burned buying a couple of expensive cards that do not work with the camera.

     

    [Edited on 2-2-2002 by tx51210]

  2. I have a Lexar 160meg 10x and a 128meg 10x. I got both of them well over a year ago and they don't seem "slow" to me.

     

    The "10x" denomination is pretty arbitrary, IMO, but Ithink it is supposed to correspond to ____ Kilobytes per second

     

    It basically comes down to the fact that the faster the card, the faster your camera will be able to write to it and the faster you will be able to transfer images to your computer.

     

    There is an excellent comparison of CF media at:

     

    www.dpreview.com

     

    I would just thank your lucky stars that media is so CHEAP lately. It wasn't 1.5 years ago.

     

    Cheers

    James Wiseman

  3. What I am really wanting to know is if 256mg, 512mg and up cards will work ok with the Coolpix 5000.

  4. Best place to check this out, is the digital media speed reviews at dpreview.com, and also, they have the most active discussion forums, including for nikon, and for storage&media.

     

    The forums there have a good search capability, so you hardly ever have to even ask - just search.

     

    (Hint - hint! Eric! ;)

     

     

    The answer is, the high speed name brands, (lexar, etc), are not all that fast, and are absurdly over priced.

     

    The generally fastest are the ridata, and you can get 256meg for about $115 or so.

     

    512's are still a bit of a premium, but just barely any more.

     

    Good luck.

    Don

  5. Hey!

     

    This forum supports searching! ;) The link is in the upper left-hand portion of the page.

     

    I should figure out how to customize these templates, if it is at all possible. :)

  6. Somehow, my browser forgot I was logged in, so the above reply from anonymous, is really from me...

     

    Don

  7. this XMB forum is the default XMB install. There are a TON of templates, organized nicely by a single drop-down menu. *sigh*

     

    I'll get around to making this match the rest of the site one of these days, though. ;)

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.