Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Ikelite housing for A7R II -- tiny viewfinder

Started by Swordfish ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Ikelite housing for A7R II -- tiny viewfinder

4 posts
  1. I just got the Ikelite housing for the A7R II and was shocked to discover that this housing gives you a teeny-tiny view using the built-in eyepiece. Coming from the Ikelite housing for the Canon 5D II, I'd say this is a major downgrade as far as viewfinder use is concerned, which gives you about 60% to 70% view (compared with 90% to 95% on the Ikelite 5D II housing).

    It puts the A7R II's giant viewfinder to waste. It's a shame Ikelite doesn't mention this on their website. No, I don't plan to splurge another $1,000 on a viewfinder magnifier.

    The tray also doesn't have a lock, so be careful that the camera doesn't fall when opening the housing. You also can't switch from TTL to manual strobe control (and vice versa) underwater, which I've been able to do in my previous housing. You have to open the housing to flick the switch.

    Everything else is fine. But I had to highlight these negative points because the "professional" reviewers forgot to mention them. Unless there's something wrong with my housing.

    Is the built-on eyepiece really supposed to be that bad? Notice that I'm not comparing the housing with an Aquatica or Nauticam, but with an old Ikelite housing for the 5D II which really didn't look that bad.

  2. All of the issues you have pointed out were addressed in my review of the Ikelite A7R II housing in the current issue of uwpmag.com along with a few others like lack of a back focus (thumb control) for rear AF. The TTL to manual can be switched on the strobe so I don't see that as a major issue. Regarding the pickup finder I don't think you will find any A7R II housing that has a pickup finder that will do justice to the outstanding EVF on this camera, it is quite large and the pickup finders just does not see all the way into the corners. The housing is equipped with the standard finder found in all Ikelite DSLR housings so I would not expect Ikelite to design a new finder just for this housing when you have a replacement option which as you have pointed out adds an additional cost to the system.

     

    You may want to look over my review because it addresses some other positive issues as well. An E-mail to Ikelite should resolve your issue over the Canon Fisheye as to port extension length. I used the Rokinon 12mm fisheye for Sony Full Frame so I think Ikelite will be able to give you some direction on that issue.

     

    uwpmag.com is a free PDF download during the issue cycle.

    post-2618-0-65872300-1464017547_thumb.jpg

    Edited by Phil Rudin
  3. May I know what port you use with the Samyang fisheye? I'm also thinking of taking the Samyang 14mm down and it looks like my 5510.25 is perfect for it. Thanks.

  4. I used the standard eight inch acrylic dome port and a short extension, don't recall the part number. For the 16-35 zoom a longer extension is required and I think that part number is in my review. I would like to see a smaller port configuration like maybe a six inch dome or an adapted ZEN Underwater optical glass port for fisheye lenses. Rokinon/Samyang has just announced a 14mm auto focus lens, their first designed specifically for the Sony FE not a DSLR lens with an extension like the current 14mm manual and my 12mm manual focus. I am eggier to see how this lens will adapt using a dome in the 180 to 200mm range.

    Edited by Phil Rudin
Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.