Dustin,
First of all, great work indeed. Well done.
For the macro shots, were these at night, or just selective lighting during the day? If so, what where you using for lighting? And for stabilization?
Also, perhaps I'm misremembering, but did you not use to shoot a Canon 1DC before? If so, do you have any thoughts about the differences/similarities between shooting with the two different cameras? Especially when it comes to 4k quality, white balancing, etc.
Andrei
Thanks Andrei for watching it.
You have it mistaken on the camera. I have always used the 5d. The 1dc was always something I wanted but the price was so out of reach, I was never able to do it. There are good thing and bad things comparing the cameras. Shooting at 60p requires a lot more light than I thought it would. So I ended up shooting much higher ISO than I did on the 5d. Also the crop factor with 4K. I was unable to get the larger critter in with the 100mm. Where shooting with a full sensor 5d I was able to do it. Of course this helped me get the smaller critters better. So it was a trade off. Wb process is easier with the 1dxII, however, actually getting a good wb might be harder. I only did 2 dives with it, and the sites were nots great with poor viz. I should beget a better feel when I go to the Solomon's in July. The dual pixel autofocus of the new camera, is mixed. It helped with some shots, but most of the time the focus hunting would ruin a shot. It's not totally worthless, you just have to get the right situation. Of course I may need to learn how to use it better too.
As for the shooting, yes it is selective lighting, and the ambient light needs to be low. The cuttlefish was in the late afternoon, and deeper. the red fish was at night. I use the solas, 2100 and 8000's to light up a scene if needed. I also tried out the inon lf800n. That has 5 degree beam. As for stability. I use a tripod. Xit404.
Hope that helps.
Dustin