I am trying to find the most cost effective way to use my Nikon 16-35 UW with the D810. How does Sea and Sea acrylic fisheye 10in dome fisheye port compare with Aquatica Megadome or Nauticam 230mm? Please help.
- 6Posts
- 6Replies
Read-only discussion
Comparing large domes for FX
-
-
For best corner sharpness with 16-35, better look to wide-angle domes than fisheye domes. For example Nauticam 250mm. But it is expensive.
-
Just as important is positioning the dome correctly. A big dome, slighting too far from or too close to the lens will perform worse than smaller dome.
The Zen 230 as my dome of choice with this lens.
Alex
-
I am trying to find the most cost effective way to use my Nikon 16-35 UW with the D810. How does Sea and Sea acrylic fisheye 10in dome fisheye port compare with Aquatica Megadome or Nauticam 230mm? Please help.
Given that the Sea&Sea internal correction lens is made specifically for this port - this will theoretically give you the best result also given that you are using the optimal port extension per Alex above. Nevertheless I am finding the S&S lens works very well with the Seacam superdome tuned (optimal port extension) to a given lens. A consideration is that the curvature of the virtual image varies by focus distance - flatter closer up.
Tom
-
Just as important is positioning the dome correctly. A big dome, slighting too far from or too close to the lens will perform worse than smaller dome.
The Zen 230 as my dome of choice with this lens.
Alex
The problem is to find out what the optimum extension is. Especially when you mix brands, it is an issue. I just bought a used Sea&Sea FE-dome (S&S 56401) to use with the 16-35 on my Nauticam housing. I asked Nauticam what the correct extension should be, but they didn't responded at all.
At the store we compared the Nauticam 8,5" dome and it appears very similar to the Sea&Sea, so we decided to use the same extension as Nauticam recommends with the 8,5" dome.
I have not tried it in the water yet.
-
Thank you very much, everyone, for answering. I'll post some images once I am done with my system assembly/experimentation.