Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

HDR experimentation?

Started by mattmarinegreen ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

HDR experimentation?

3 posts
  1. Has anyone played with HDR techniques underwater? If so what did you find? I am not sure if it is worth the effort, maybe for underwater landscape shots with lots of colours?

  2. At one time I played around a little with a basic HDR editor called Photomatix. I could never really get anything that I liked. Maybe the best was a school of bigeye jacks shot with ambient light that I was able to tone map into a more dynamic image. I think the biggest issue is converting a single exposure whereas the most natural looking HDR uses multiple bracketed exposures, which is hard to do under water.

     

    In general I now find that Lightroom provides enough scope to adjust WB, exposure, contrast, and HSL and produce more natural looking results.

  3. With the lower light situation moving currents its difficult to get 3 good photos to merge. You can expect a lot of ghosting & noise. Some DSLR's have a built in HDR function you can play with but expect artefacts and distorted objects where objects have moved.

    Easier to shoot as RAW then play with sliders in lightroom. Bring down highlights and bring up shadows and add some dehaze, clarity and vibrance is usually a starting point to emulate HDR processing styles on a single image.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.