Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Sony Alpha 6300 setup

Started by Istiophorus ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Sony Alpha 6300 setup

4 posts
  1. Hi everyone,

    the process of choosing an ideal underwater setup has been extremely complicated for me so far. I jumped in with an ikelite housing for the canon 5D Mark III last year, but this has proven to be too heavy and cumbersome for travelling.

    Next up, I was interested in the RX100 and the Olympus OM-D series, but they did not provide the precise AF and picture quality I want.

    Now I have set my eyes upon the Sony Alpha 6300, which seems to be a nice compromise. It is small and light, the AF is almost as good as a DSLR, and the picture quality is excellent because of the APS-C sensor.

    Now the question is, what is the ideal setup? The housing is going to be a Nauticam, but apart from that, nothing is set in stone.

    Most of my underwater photography is either split shots, or CFWA.

     

    Options:

    - E 10–18 mm F4 OSS: nice zoom range and excellent image quality. The 7" dome port necessary for this lens is heavy, but allows for easy split shits. The small magnification factor might make CFWA problematic. Has anyone used a 10 mm extension tube with this lens?

     

    - E 16 mm F2.8 with fisheye & UWA converters: only works with 4.33" dome. Split shots are going to be difficult. Corner IQ is bad. Does anyone know the magnification factor of this lens with the fisheye adapter?

     

    - Canon 8-15 mm F4 L with metabones adapter: Can someone tell me if this would work with the 7" port? Corner IQ may suffer from the 4.33" dome, and split shots will be difficult. Lens is excellent for CFWA. AF possibly very slow due to adapter?

     

    Maybe someone knows the answer to my questions or knows of a better option?

    Thanks.

  2. Hi everyone,

    the process of choosing an ideal underwater setup has been extremely complicated for me so far. I jumped in with an ikelite housing for the canon 5D Mark III last year, but this has proven to be too heavy and cumbersome for travelling.

    Next up, I was interested in the RX100 and the Olympus OM-D series, but they did not provide the precise AF and picture quality I want.

    Now I have set my eyes upon the Sony Alpha 6300, which seems to be a nice compromise. It is small and light, the AF is almost as good as a DSLR, and the picture quality is excellent because of the APS-C sensor.

    Now the question is, what is the ideal setup? The housing is going to be a Nauticam, but apart from that, nothing is set in stone.

    Most of my underwater photography is either split shots, or CFWA.

     

    Options:

    - E 10–18 mm F4 OSS: nice zoom range and excellent image quality. The 7" dome port necessary for this lens is heavy, but allows for easy split shits. The small magnification factor might make CFWA problematic. Has anyone used a 10 mm extension tube with this lens?

     

    - E 16 mm F2.8 with fisheye & UWA converters: only works with 4.33" dome. Split shots are going to be difficult. Corner IQ is bad. Does anyone know the magnification factor of this lens with the fisheye adapter?

     

    - Canon 8-15 mm F4 L with metabones adapter: Can someone tell me if this would work with the 7" port? Corner IQ may suffer from the 4.33" dome, and split shots will be difficult. Lens is excellent for CFWA. AF possibly very slow due to adapter?

     

    Maybe someone knows the answer to my questions or knows of a better option?

    Thanks.

    Hello, not certain I would be the best to answer your question, however if you are still in the market or looking for the Sony a6300 system you should check my post (which maybe you already have). I have someone interested in the strobes and would be willing to part the system to a certain extent. Take care.

  3. Hello, not certain I would be the best to answer your question, however if you are still in the market or looking for the Sony a6300 system you should check my post (which maybe you already have). I have someone interested in the strobes and would be willing to part the system to a certain extent. Take care.

    Thanks for the offer. I live in Europe so the shipping and customs would be a bit much from the US.

  4. The A6300 looks like a good option - however a couple of things come to mind.

     

    1. Overheating. There has been many reports (See DVXUser) of the camera over heating even in normal conditions, I think if you factor in that the camera will be sealed in a metal box for a number of hours at a time, this could cause further heat build up and more consistent overheating.

     

    2. It uses the smaller n85 port system, so I would be surprised a metabones adaptor would fit within the port 'hole' - so eliminating the use of Canon glass.

     

    Just my 2c

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.